Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Williepalooza 2013 in the books

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Waiting for Mike to kick in here. I left before the awards as I had a three hour drive. We were not on our A game this comp...timing off a bit, highly distracted - my ADHD teammate any way and felt just out of the groove, you know what I mean? So where are you MIKE??

Yes a the first state Championship of the year. I left early and would really like some details on how it played out. We, Brothers in Smoke (AKA BBQ-Brethren dot com), took reserve grand champion or as well call it first of the losers. The trophy has a horses ass on it. Who took 13th place chicken and the famous plaque that says "13th place chicken....striving for mediocrity". Details details. Where is NS Mike D??

Scotto is modest. They were Reserve Grand Champion (2nd place overall) with a first place in brisket.

We had 3 top five finishes, 5th in ribs, 4th in chili and 1st in meatloaf (we were given ground beef and were instructed to make meatloaf in the bbqs). My teammate made a work of culinary art shepherd's pie that I am kicking myself for not taking a photo before it went in for judging.

We had a stubborn teammate who insisted on braising the brisket in a broken smoker that he spent a month modifying and painting but never testing. He insisted on cooking 4 hours later than I wanted and left me to cook the brisket starting at 2:30 am. I spent the night adjusting the smoker unable to get any consistency in the heat. After day break, I asked about two posts in the smoker door, which he showed me how the previous owner clip metal plates to secure the door. I walked to the side and could see concrete on the other side of the smoker through a 1 inch gap in the smoker door. We immediately secured the door best we could with utensils and the pit warmed up to a steady 275 where we attempted to finish the cook. We took the point off for burnt ends in a 300 degree wsm but even that wasn't enough to get them right and so we took 21st off 25 in brisket. I'm fairly certain that we could have gotten an average score had we known in advance about the massive air leak and followed a traditional timeline and that would have put us in the top 10 overall.

more to come

I couldn't tell; who's core temperature was lower Saturday night, mine of the Pork Butts. Nothing like taking your food out of the ice cooler to bring them to a room temp of 39 degrees.

so a strange thing occurred. Our butts had a 50 degree variation by 9 am. 200 and hot knife through butter on the money muscle and yet 150 near the bone. So we decided to pull two from the smoker and rest under a blanket and continue to cook the other two until we needed to crank the smoker to 300 for the chicken. In hindsight, we should have put them in a warm cooler to rest and perhaps cook them at 250 instead of 225.

When we went to pull them, it was like leather. The were some muscles we couldn't even pull apart, they ware so tight. So we sliced the money muscles and pulled what we could, but somehow we were able to compensate with a 11 place. We actually tied for 10th and assume lost some sort of tie breaker.

Chicken came in 16th scored well on appearance but flat on taste and texture. Same flavor profile that did well in Manorville, I think we will simplify this a bit. It was bite through and tasty, but I am not a judge. I just like the stuff.

Great write up mike, it was cold as hell Saturday night. I really felt we were off our game and timing. Remember in BBQ Brethren rules the pork shoulder can be parted after reaching 145 degree's. look to KCBS to do this soon as well. Our chicken, we were told, was undercooked but I have no way of verifying as I have no idea where we placed in chicken. We did try a chicken money muscle and the feed back were heard was good. No more details on that ;) Our pork was porky and tasty with a good sliced money muscle...no idea how it finished...ribs were eh....again unsure and the brisket was great. Looked good tasted good and just felt right on. After the comp Phil is so tired I do a lot of the clean up, but honestly I am wearing out. We'll see how many comps I do this year. Scott

you finished 9th in Chicken and 8th in ribs,

No breakdown of individual judges for you, but I didn't see anything that would suggest you had undercooked chicken, although I did hear judges say they were given some undercooked food.

are you doing Staten Island

and are you guys using the RD briskets or did you switch to waygu?

I was surprised at how low our brisket scores were. While they weren't were we wanted to be, I thought that had good beef flavor and the slices had a nice bend over the finger and a snap when pulled. What really surprised me were the 5'a and 6's in appearance. I know bad brisket. I thought we had 7' - 8's

chicken could have been better - we had the full spectrum in scores. They either loved it or hated it.

I didn't think these were anywhere close to manorville, but solid scoring across the board

and here is the leaky smoker. Now that we know we can get consistent 275 - 300 using metal serving spoons to clamp down the door, we are going to give it another try next week

Brisket looks good if not a bit dry, where are the burnt ends? It is a expected part of the box these days. We did a wagu and RD, turned in the wagu because it was good. very good. When you foil, and you go to remove from foils take the au ju, reheat in a micro or open flame and them after slicing lay the slices down into the au ju, and cover with the au ju. Then after putting in box, drizzle a little au ju into it as well. You really need your burnt ends as well. Even if just cut deckle and sauces and then added to the box with out reheat in the pit.

we couldn't get the burnt ends to give up the rubber by the time of turn in. We decided the slices were our best cook. We soaked those slices in the hot au jus for ten minutes before placing in the box.

Getting the trailer ready for the NYC BBQ Comp in Staten Island.

Looking forward to a big jump in our brisket scores. I trimmed the chicken last night (3 hours) slight adjustments in pork and no changes for ribs (can't argue with 8th, 1st & 5th in our three judged comps)