Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sefmonster

What type of braid and test to use at Montauk?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I will never use Power Pro again for personal reasons and as it is now I use Original Fireline from 14 to 20lb.test on my lighter outfits and LOVE it! I wish Fireline made the Original in 40lb.test but it doesn't but does make 30lb.but after casting for hours with wet fingers it cuts in even after taping up.I would like to go 40lb.test for distance and strength.Just throwing this out there and was thinking either Samurai or Jerry Brown solid which I have never used on a spinner.Most of my buddies like Samurai but still seeking advice before I spool up for the season.I just won an Avet in a raffle and they spooled it up with a brand called Toro Tamer from Charkbait but I never used it yet.Decisions,decisions!...lol....Help!

In M I use either 50 or 65 PP.

I am also a fan of FL original in 20, I do not like the 30 at all---too heavy.

I have tried sufix 832 and did not like it at all.

Sorry not much help to you, but that is what I use at M.

Original FL in 20 tests out above 50 if I remember correctly.

I will never use Power Pro again for personal reasons and as it is now I use Original Fireline from 14 to 20lb.test on my lighter outfits and LOVE it! I wish Fireline made the Original in 40lb.test but it doesn't but does make 30lb.but after casting for hours with wet fingers it cuts in even after taping up.I would like to go 40lb.test for distance and strength.Just throwing this out there and was thinking either Samurai or Jerry Brown solid which I have never used on a spinner.Most of my buddies like Samurai but still seeking advice before I spool up for the season.I just won an Avet in a raffle and they spooled it up with a brand called Toro Tamer from Charkbait but I never used it yet.Decisions,decisions!...lol....Help!

You use Fireline fused in the 14 and 20 pound test but want to skip the 30 and go to a 40 pound line for more distance and strength? In reality 14 pound fireline is a mid 30 pound line in strength and the 20 pound Fireline breaks at over 50 pounds, 54.5 actually in many comparisons over the years.

If you want to use Samurai i would go well above 20 for Montauk, 20 pound Samurai has a real life breaking average that's below what Fireline 10 pound test has and even 10 pound 832 breaks higher than 20 pound Samurai.

You need to decide whats more important , distance or strength, if you need max distance you don't go up in line strength/ diameter, you go down. Surprised your having issues with your fingers , as long as you lock down your drag during a powerful cast your fingers should be fine.

Right now Sufix 832 gets more stellar reviews than any line out there, the 20 pound strength is a legit 40 pound line, it breaks in the 38 -39 pound range in real World test, just a few pounds stronger than Fireline fused in the 14 pound Strength, which averages 35-37 in most legit line testing comparisons over the years.

I know some might not agree and that's fine but any legit 20 pound braid will whip any bass out there in short order, whether your confident or experienced enough to fish it in challenging conditions is another story. Fish what makes you comfortable.

You use Fireline fused in the 14 and 20 pound test but want to skip the 30 and go to a 40 pound line for more distance and strength? In reality 14 pound fireline is a mid 30 pound line in strength and the 20 pound Fireline breaks at over 50 pounds, 54.5 actually in many comparisons over the years.

If you want to use Samurai i would go well above 20 for Montauk, 20 pound Samurai has a real life breaking average that's below what Fireline 10 pound test has and even 10 pound 832 breaks higher than 20 pound Samurai.

You need to decide whats more important , distance or strength, if you need max distance you don't go up in line strength/ diameter, you go down. Surprised your having issues with your fingers , as long as you lock down your drag during a powerful cast your fingers should be fine.

Right now Sufix 832 gets more stellar reviews than any line out there, the 20 pound strength is a legit 40 pound line, it breaks in the 38 -39 pound range in real World test, just a few pounds stronger than Fireline fused in the 14 pound Strength, which averages 35-37 in most legit line testing comparisons over the years.

I know some might not agree and that's fine but any legit 20 pound braid will whip any bass out there in short order, whether your confident or experienced enough to fish it in challenging conditions is another story. Fish what makes you comfortable.

The thing with M , id it is loaded with rocks, and the fish are in close, so better to have a thicker line, for abrasion resistance, than a thinner one where you are trying to cast a mile.

It depends. At times in the day and under the light distance does matter so 20FL good choice. at night on a rock you can use heavier line but can use lighter also but need the right technique of letting off on drag if fish in the rocks and them getting it out and tighening up drag. I hink people use far too heavy lines a loose the benifits of braid.

I do not fish Montauk but areas where abrasion resistance is needed. Off the open beach I use 20 pound fireline. In areas of abrasion resistance, I use the 30 pound fireline. 30 pound Fireline is incredibly strong and almost impossible to break. 20 pound fireline is same diameter as 10lb Ande. 30 pound is just a little thinner than 15 pound Ande. It is still thinner than 20 pound mono and once broken in, it casts fine. It does have a stiff consistency but it can cast.

the past 4 years all ive used there was 50# sufix perfromance. Im fishing mtk a lot, atleast 100 days/nights per year over that stretch and was very happy with the performance of the line.

The thing with M , id it is loaded with rocks, and the fish are in close, so better to have a thicker line, for abrasion resistance, than a thinner one where you are trying to cast a mile.

I know exactly what your saying Reg, many years ago i stayed in Brightwaters LI and fished Montauk quite a bit, all my cousins are from LI . I am saying fish whatever your comfortable with, i just scratch my head when people talk about wanting ultimate distance and spooling 65, they just don't go together.

For all rocks, yes heavier line is a good idea no question, i didn't use what i use now in Montauk.

You can get away with 40lbs braid around rocks. That's what I use at the CCC.

dpends on tehe 40. samurai 40 ive blown up in Montauk. back when i used powerpro, it was okay ( excpet for random break-offs but thats a diffirent story) when i switched to 50 sufix practically no problems. There is also 30lb fireline, but thats its own category