Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul_M

LED lamp replacement question

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I have a room that overheats in the summer so I want to convert my 12 par 38 50 watt lamps to LED. Which is the correct lamp for me? Can I get away w the 24 watt which seems to be the highest wattage offered in a Par 38?

Have you tried any Jim? I may buy 3 or 4 to experiment rather than go "all in." I also wondering if getting a little higher wattage and adding dimmers would be the wtg in offering the most flexibility and protecting against not being bright enough.

Paul, i am installing new cans and using Led Kits. One thing you have to check when you buy these lights, there are different brightness'. (Lumens) 2500 Lumens will give you a soft light (yellowish), like the regular incandescent bulbs, 3000 lumens will give you a Bright White light.

The one i settled on was 13 watts, and 2700 Lumens retro kit, they fit 5 and 6 inch cans. Very easy to install, and has a very nice finished look.

Utilitech Pro 5-in or 6-in Retro-fit White Dimmable LED Recessed Disc from Lowes, if you watch you can get them on sale for about $24.

Keith

Have you tried any Jim? I may buy 3 or 4 to experiment rather than go "all in." I also wondering if getting a little higher wattage and adding dimmers would be the wtg in offering the most flexibility and protecting against not being bright enough.

I have not tried any of the PAR LED's yet, just some R30's. They seem great so far.

Conversion kit looks very interesting. Regarding lumens of that conversion kit, I can't quite follow. 13w LED is more likely 900-1000 lumens, 2700 or 3000 seems more like color temp in K

edit: checked- 700 lumens

Utilitech Pro 5-in or 6-in Retro-fit White Dimmable LED Recessed Disc from Lowes,

here is a Utube video... shows how to install and the finished product.

Those #'s in the 1000's are color temp. I found a conversion chart the showed 40-60 watt as about 8 watts in LED, but I'm big into overkill - I'd hate to come up to dark on ~$600 investment.

buy them from lowes..... they take returns - no questions asked! ;)

Home Depot has more of a selection for the higher wattage. i think they had a 15watt (95w +/- equivlant)

It's not just the wattage it is also the lumens. As well as the beam angle. To narrow an angle you will have dark spots. To wide and you will wash away against walls and cabenits. LED'S are very specialized in these factors

As a electrical contractor I sold hundreds of these things in the past year. A par 38 replacement LED (6' recess light can) runs at about 18W producing roughly 880 lumens @ 2700K. I personaly like the light out of 3000K bulbs better. Annother thing to be concerned with is that dimmer technology has not caught up with the LED lamps yet. Making the lamps almost impossible to dim with out spending real crazzy money on dimming equipment. I have found that when you try to control more than seven on one dimming devise that it simply just dosent work out. The lamps tend to flutter and will even blink when trying to control more than seven.

For instance my living rm in my house is 16' X 23' 14' ceiling I have six 5" recess cans in there with PAR 30 15W 3000K 770 Lumens 40 degree angle LED Lamps . I am using Sylvania Ultra LED Bulbs .A dimmer is required it is just too brite with out it.

I do need to correct my OP. I have Par 20's. Currently using 12 50w halogen w 500 lumens each, I have seen Par 20 Led @10 watts and 450 lumens. Most 9 watt LED put out about 400 lumens. We don't use a dimmer and there are 2 switches 1 w 4 lamps and the other 8. I will check into the Sylvania Ultras - Samsung also makes LED lamps which i would have a lot of confidence in.

I do need to correct my OP. I have Par 20's. Currently using 12 50w halogen w 500 lumens each, I have seen Par 20 Led @10 watts and 450 lumens. Most 9 watt LED put out about 400 lumens. We don't use a dimmer and there are 2 switches 1 w 4 lamps and the other 8. I will check into the Sylvania Ultras - Samsung also makes LED lamps which i would have a lot of confidence in.

Did you have the PAR bulbs for a particular reason? They are more direct / focused light I think than R counterparts. I have R's for general room lighting with some PAR for task lighting, like sinks, etc.

No just happened to put those in. I'll check out the R20's as well. Just tried to order 3 of the Svlvania Ultra's and they're back ordered for a couple weeks.