Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Glory

New to Surf Casting just Moved To Plum Island - Rod Help

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hi I just moved to Newburyport and want to try surf casting for stripers. My brother gave me some rods and reels but I am not sure if they are appropriate for fishing this area.

Lamiglas 11' Med Heavy 17-40 lb line 3-8 oz. Finnor Offshore 9500

Lamiglas Surf King 10' 14-30 lb line 2-4 oz Shimano Thunnis 1200

St. Croix 9' Med 8-20 lb line 1/2-2/12 oz Stradic 6000

Are these good set ups for Plum Island? Thanks for your advice.

You've got your bases covered pretty well. That's one hell of a brother you've got there. Head into Surfland with an of your questions as well, they will put you on the right path.

Thanks! Can't wait for the fish to get here. Follow up question. What do you use for bait? Chunk? Clams? Eels? What rig?

Should I just go to Surfland for my education?

Hey Old Glory,

Congrats to you on the move. I agree with the above posts and yes, Kay is the local guru. I fish the beach and ends a bit and wouldn't mind showing a newbie around if you needed a hand. The area has a lot to offer; great fishing, great people and great pubs/restaurants. Nothing feels better after not catching anything than a cold beer in a chilled mug, I say!

Good luck!

Good area for Surf fishing but a lot of competition! When the weather is nice the beach is lined up from start to finish. I tried Flounder fishing over there last year for fun, i caught a few but none worth keeping since they were small. Also, managed to hook a schoolie with a flounder hook headscratch.gif also, when you have you rod on the beach never leave it unattended even if you have something holding it. My brother left his pole, unattended for a second and the next second it was gone, a fish took it away.

I suggest using the floating surf rig, its proven to be susccesful on the beaches of PI. Rig it with a fishfinder and a pyramid weight. Seaworms are the way to go but clams,herring and mackerel will also work. The bobber floats your bait off the bottom, so most likely you wont catch skates!!

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1567307/width/1000/height/1000]

Sorry. We don't allow members to post commercial links in their posts, or promote businesses, out of fairness to our paying sponsors.

Thank you for all the advice. I know no one likes to give out specific spots but which beach is better for fishing? Should I go to the National park or town beach? Do they let you in early in the morning? I have seen campers out there but there is no info on their website.

Thanks!