Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luv2fishcb

New to the forum fishing Chesapeake and Potomac River areas

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am new to the forum.  I fish mostly out of Solomons Island Maryland when I'm fishing the bay.  I live in Stafford, VA and fish the Potomac River from Quantico south most of the time.  I launch in Stafford or Dahlgren.  

Found this site recently and thought I would join.  Still trying to learn the ropes on fishing stripers.  I've been doing it just a few years.  I do "some" trolling but mostly like to jig on light tackle.

I'll be doing some lurking for a little while until I learn the ropes around here.

Steve

I generally fish from Thomas Point Light to the Solomon's; we troll, live line and jig depending on time of season and tide. Simply, on any day any approach will work. Local knowledge is the information you need to get right on the fish. Of course, keeping an eye on the charter captains can give you some good clues. Real early and later in the day seems to find more fish, deep is the road to bigger fish. Trolling east to west and west to east across the main & old channel is also more productive then north to south etc... Some folks troll for hours with no luck, once you find fish on the fish finder, check for crap on your lures or change them out for something else; that's if you don't catch anything. To much patience can be a negative thing. Good luck!

Headed out of Dahlgren on Sunday. Had two guys with me that prefer jigging over trolling (as do I) so we hit a few areas. After about 4 hours of no luck we tried trolling off Coles Point. Marked very few fish and no takers. Headed up to the area around the power plant and marked some fish but couldn't get themto bite. Had a good day on the boat but only one catfish took our offerings.

Hope to get another chance next weekend.

Steve

I am new to the forum.  I fish mostly out of Solomons Island Maryland when I'm fishing the bay.  I live in Stafford, VA and fish the Potomac River from Quantico south most of the time.  I launch in Stafford or Dahlgren.  

Found this site recently and thought I would join.  Still trying to learn the ropes on fishing stripers.  I've been doing it just a few years.  I do "some" trolling but mostly like to jig on light tackle.

I'll be doing some lurking for a little while until I learn the ropes around here.

Steve

Steve .... you should take up fly fishing .... drive down to Fredericksburg and fish the Rappahannock. When the Dogwoods Bloom the Stripers loom. Specifically they're way up the rivers preparing to spawn / or they are spawning. Post spawn about early / mid May they feed up river then bolt for the ocean and on to New England. By Memorial Day Weekend they're out in the Chesapeake Bay and heading out of the bay.

Good luck in your fishing endeavors.