Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobydoo

Trip of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!! Again.......at least for this year

18 posts in this topic

I've been chomping at the bit to fish this body of water for what seems like a lifetime. Well.......plain and simple....it was worth it.....hell we even had a barbeque afterwards to celebrate the most epic day on the water this state could ever offer.

Started our journey at about 10 AM. (I know....we're hardcore..lol) Come 11 o'clock we finally started fishing. And to be honest...It was quite slow.

This was a first time recon trip. We had no idea if there were even fish in there at all...Let alone the surprise we were in store for. Ya see....I heard rumors about this place...100' depths. Musky this... and pike that....lake trout.....bla bla bla...well....I can say, that pretty much everything I've heard is a bunch of BS....The max depth is 7' deep...While I wish the musky and pike part were true....I didn't see any......(and the pike were active yesterday) and unluss someone transplanted lake trout....there ain't any plain and simple...and PS...the rumors were by people who never fished it.

Soooo anyway....

We caught a total of 18 fish...the smallest was a 3 lb (Edit..2lbs..sorry Jim...LOL) smallmouth....(pictured)

What made today special. Was the absolutely rediculous....and completely unexpected smallmouth fishery this place can actually sustain.

For starters..The only two largemouth caught allday were the two pictured, not bad aye. But the true stars of todays show were the HUGE HUGE HUGE smallmouth.

Every fish we hooked was a trophy. Even the dink of the day was a gorgeous fish....

I HAD TO APOLOGIZE TO MY FRIEND...WHO i SCOFFED AT WHEN HE SWUNG AND MISSED ON A FISH THAT HIT RIGHT OFF HIS FLIPPER...AFTER HEARING SOME CURSING. i ASKED...HOW BIG AND WHAT WAS IT.....WHEN HE FLOPPED HIS ARMS DOWN WIDE..(AND I MEAN WIDE)..AND FOLLOWED IT UP WITH..."DUDE..I THINK IT WAS A SMALLY" i FOLLOWED IT UP WITH THE OBVIOUS....YEAH...OKAY...WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON.......

More on that in a minute

Whether it was burning spinnerbaits over a shallow flat...bouncing jigs....jig rigs or slow rolling 6 inch basstrix swimbaits and 8inch castaic tubes (shhhh secret bait).

I've never seen so many 5 lb smallmouth pulled out of a body of water in this state in my life.

And what completely blew my mind was my 3rd hookup of the day.

The first was a 4lb smallie that went about 20~ inches.

The second was a LM (Helluva first LM)

My third killed me......

I get bit while burning a tungsten terminator spinnerbait over a shallow 3' flat with patchy grass (#5 chartreuse willow) .I thought I had one of them rumored muskies or pike...and a quality one at that. The first run is steady heavy and strong. No headshakes at all....staying low and just steadily pulling...I call out to my buddy. To get the camera ready as I was into something . About a full minute into the fight. And only having let up my drag a few clicks. I'm now getting real curious. As I haven't even seen this thing yet. And I'm now thinking....big channel cat. or big foul hooked carp...no way its anything but...as they'd have been up top by now. And mind you....the fight started smack dab in the middle of an open flat...now I'v been towed 30 yards away into a bunch of sunken trees. and boulders. I'm think oh ****...at least let me see em....When finally she decides bolt parallel to the bank and back the other way. Spinning me around and finally going airborne.........I'M SPEACHLESS AT THIS POINT.........(JIM'S NOT...) All I hear is him yell " ARE YOU !@#$!@# FOR REAL" It is the biggest smallmouth bass I have ever seen. I've seen all the Lake Erie shows with the monsters they pull out...this thing was bigger.....This thing dwarfed the two LM the picture...both lengthwise, top to bottom...and width.

I immediately loosened up on her. I saw where she was hooked....the roof of her mouth. She takes off again...going nuts on the surface. But after one more run she slows......I figure nows the time to grab her. So as I she nears. I'm really in awe.....I mean....I've caught some really big Jersey fish....And to be honest...Thats all I target. But smallies are my trophy fish I really don't even like taking them out of the water if possible.....and this was clearly a record....This fish was HUGE!!

This fish.....was only hooked in the skin of the roof of the mouth.......this fish....made one last headshake and threw the hook....This fish was only two feet away from being my second C&R of a potential state record fish.

Had I been in a boat...I would have landed her. But in a float tube ya gotta highstick to get them to lip. Just like netting a trout with a flyrod. And sure as **** I got beat.

Enough with that heartache.....

Two.....not three or four...but TWO casts later. I get bit again by another freak of a smallmouth.....about 5' from my flipper right on top...I set the hook and she doesn't even budge.......but instead turns.....buckles my 71MH cumulus rod...takes off....peels about 10 or so feet of line....and spits the hook.....I point at the fish...and in frustration...yell EFF you....You SOB

Then I see Jim's tight. On another huge smally only this one spinning him in circles......his fish looked to be about 22-23" and thick.

Anyway...This continued for a few hours...until the wind changed direction and blew use up the bank...We decided to go with the flow and continue to explore the lake. Well.....the old addage is true..90% of the fish occupy 10% of the watter. As for the remaining couple hundred casts went unanswered other than when we went back to the previous area.

Yet again another great adventure. We shall name this place the fountain of youth....as to get there we had to hike though the rocky woods and came accross this.........I gots me a new nighttime spot......

Tight lines..

Oh and the first pic I'm not cheering or hooraying......Long story short....that bass right after the hookset shot towards the bank.....spooking the heck out of two carp....one happened to leap onto the rocky shoreline...and proceeded to flop around during the fight.......So yes ladies and gentlemen.....It is possible to catch a carp and a bass on a spinnerbait at the same time.....We were in tears we were laughing so hard....ROFL

And the second bass pic...after tying on a rage craw loaded 5/0 owner jig rig...i hand tossed the line in the water and closed my box....the fish hit without rod in hand.. After the swing and miss...I dropped it straight down again....4' of water...literally between my legs....and it hit before toughing down.....My friend was in hysterics the fist time as he saw the hit.....he was in disbelief when it hit again....

Where are the pics of the 5lb smallies?

I really enjoyed the report, sounds like another great hidden fishery you found. :D

I know you know what you are doing and have an idea of sizes of fish. But since I know you are a legit surf fisherman I would compare catching a 5lb smallie in NJ to catching a 50lb striper from the surf. I've caught a decent amount of 4lb and change smallies from NJ but still have never touched the 5lb mark. Throwing out numbers like that should not be just estimates IMHO. I know in the past you said you never have a scale so I am just assuming these are estimates and I know I could be totally wrong. I am not calling you a liar or anything but like I said to me it is just like me saying I caught a 50lb striper from the surf and just estimated the weight even though I have only caught 30lb fish in the past. Again no disrespect, just saying. Again congrats on the fish and also I am again jealous of these places you find. :laugh:

To all why do you care if the man says "5lbs". SM it is a fish story don't go there some guys??? Thanks for sharing the pics &report of your trip BTW they look more like 6lbs

To all why do you care if the man says "5lbs". SM it is a fish story don't go there some guys??? Thanks for sharing the pics &report of your trip BTW they look more like 6lbs

Trust me Hook, I don't worry about what others say about my catches. And everyone is entitled to an opinion.

In Skunk's case. He clearly wasn't questioning, or doubting....And he is right, I make some bold claims. With no pictoral proof of them existing. I'd be a skeptic to....But.....

I even read his Edits :) and they were made to make certain he wasn't attacking me or coming off harsh...even though the og wasn't at all.

Aside from that. Skunk is on guy that I would trust with a few of my spots. Because he gets it. He and I go back a ways on this site. So I know where he was coming from.

Trust me Hook, I don't worry about what others say about my catches. And everyone is entitled to an opinion.

In Skunk's case. He clearly wasn't questioning, or doubting....And he is right, I make some bold claims. With no pictoral proof of them existing. I'd be a skeptic to....But.....

I even read his Edits :) and they were made to make certain he wasn't attacking me or coming off harsh...even though the og wasn't at all.

Aside from that. Skunk is on guy that I would trust with a few of my spots. Because he gets it. He and I go back a ways on this site. So I know where he was coming from.

Yup tried my best to not come off as a dick. How the hell can you see my edits? :laugh:

Also to Hook, I see guys post 3lbers on this site calling them 6lbers every single day and don't say a word. I know those guys truely just don't know how to judge a fish's weight and are usually new to the game. I know that there was a time where I did the same thing so I let it go.

All cameras distort. You can never tell how much a fish weighs from a picture. Unless you're there and witness the fish, it is impossible to guess the weight from a snapshot. Scoob, I'll take your estimates as pretty darn good and cry myself to sleep at night in total envy of you :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachbuster View Post

All cameras distort. You can never tell how much a fish weighs from a picture. Unless you're there and witness the fish, it is impossible to guess the weight from a snapshot. Scoob, I'll take your estimates as pretty darn good and cry myself to sleep at night in total envy of you smile.gif

When I take pictures of my fish, I lay them on the ground and take a picture next to my foot. I know how long my foot is and then I can measure the photo later. I can't say what the weight is, but I can use the photo to get the size of the fish within 1/4 inch.

Take a picture of a fat girl and a picture of a skinny girl, then let's revisit this "can't tell weight with a camera" idea.