Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
taylorgilbert

Need a new saltwater reel

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I just moved to down to st.pete florida from long island, an while as much as mother would like to believe its to be near her I don't have the heart to tell her the main motivation was to cure my severe depression onset by the all to brief ny fishing season !

I'd just gotten into fly fishing freshwater and was getting ready make the saltwater switch as well . I've done a fair amount of research into sw reels but had focused on reel for the LI surf, I know the conditions here on the gulf coast are a lot less hostile then the northeast surf but I also know how clumsy and hard on gear that I am so I still think I want a sealed reel especially since it'll be a while before I can get a boat.

The dilemma now is I have a best friend with an interest in learning to fly fish. as well as a standing request from my dad that as soon as I get the fishing down here figured out consistently hell be down to fish an back every few weeks.

The other portion of my question is I have a 8/9 12' 4 switch rod that someone gave me told an me it was a "beach rod" an they needed something a little different for their steelhead trips to Pulaski. Since he was a family friend and got the rod dirt cheap he passed it to me for free when he found what he wanted... Now I know NOTHING about fishing with or using a switch rod but a few quick searches on google an on this forum shows guys are using them in salt (though no info really in re to using the down here ) these days, I'm sure I can find a use for it. I also have an 8wt tfo lefty kreh which was again given to me after my dad saw it at a yard sale an remembered me mentioning wanting an 8wt tfo, an while I was thinking more along the lines of the bvk I again won't argue with free

So that leaves me needing 2 potentially 3 reels, a main reel, back up / "buddy" reel an possibly one suited for said switch rod unless of course I could use my main reel with the switch rod which would be a big plus. So I imagine I'd spend the most on the "main" reel but still wanna quality back up but I can't decide where to start, save for a little longer an buy the main reel ? or jump in buy an buy the quality back up first so I can resume fishing before I go nuts ( I left all my spinning gear in ny ) . I haven't been fly fishing long but long enough to know I enjoy it an wont regret the hefty price tag some reels command.

The reels I'm pretty sure I've got my mind set on (i think) are the nautilus ccf 8 and the lamson guru 3.5

Pretty much, if you wanted to cover all your needs (vs just having one centralized 'compromise' outfit), you ideally should have a 10 weight for larger snook (particularly off jetties and places where there are obstruction) as well as will be more manageable for tarpon (although still on the light side for that) and then a 7 weight for everything else (reds, trout, spanish, jacks - although the 10 wt would be more suited for large jacks, ladyfish, pompano, more 'typical' sized snook, etc)...the 10 weight would also help in terms of wind down there (which, just as the case is here, can be a pain in the butt with lighter rods)

So whatever you chose, good luck...and don't forget to explore some areas just south of you (Sarasota, Venice, etc)...great fishing down there (yeah, I'm envious:-))

I was fishing down there a few weeks ago, caught some nice spanish macs off the beach at Pass a Grill. Fort DeSoto was good too. I would suggest you head over to Tampa Bay On The Fly, great fly shop, owner could not tell me enough about the local fishing. I am  alittle envious too, NH winters are rough too.

No secret on this board I am a Colton fan. Why spend a lot of money when you can get the same or better quality for less money. Search Colton with the search function, plenty to read.

O

Well I grew up spending time down here my mother works for macdill afb an her husband like my dad is retired military so I have access over there plus there's no shortage of guys with loads of local experience itching to impress my cousin haha so I'll be using her to my advantage :p . I know eventually I'll load the arsenal from 7wt to 12wt for everything from large Florida lmb to sharks an poons.

I keep remembering that when I lived in ny if I drove six to eight hours I'd still be cold if I got in the car now an drove six to eight hours I'm in the keys :D

I'm going to look into Colton and Bauer now, but what do you guys look for in a reel. Right now my criteria has been weight,line cap, warranty, must be made in America ( I like that nautilus is made here in Florida since I was too ), but I'm not sure if there are other things I should be using in judging reels

Thanks again !

Your 8wt TFO should be a great all around rod down there. Plenty big for 99.44 % of what you'll be catching. IMO, if it's too windy for an 8wt, it's probably too windy to be any fun--nice thing about living down there is that it costs you nothing to wait until tomorrow.

When I first started in Florida salt, my mentor Ed Story (RIP) advised a 6wt rod with 7wt line on a smallish reel with only ~50 ft of backing--something I could cast all day long. I like to have ~200 yards just in case, but he was right that the vast majority of fish caught will not take you into backing at all. Very occassionally hook a big shark or something, which is fun for a brief while but which there's no way I'm going to actually land no matter what. I like Lamson Litespeeds but they are far from inexpensive and trouble free.

Steve

I recently bought an Allen Alpha II, it was on closeout for $99 as they are introducing the Alpha 3.

Wish I had bought a second ( anybody have an Alpha II they dont want?) , but you have to buy direct from Allen and I wanted to see if it was a good reel before buying two. Not that big of mistake because the new improved Alpha 3 is only buck and a half.

O,

Weight

Herb

I know you think they are heavy, I have never checked the specs compared to other reels, not a concern for me. I do tons of woodworking with hand tools and primarily hand sand. Very strong forearms.

O

O,

Age will happen and change your perspective : > ))

At 75 I am slowly moving over to Nautilus from my Bauer MX5's. there is about an ounce difference. But 3 ounce difference between the Nautilus and the 9/11 Colton.

Herb

Are you comparing to the NV or the CCF? My reels are much wider arbor than most others as well. Most of the time what other manufactures have as a 4" diameter reel will have the capacity of mine at 3.75" .. Regardless in about a year or so there will be a lighter waterproof colton;)

Abel

Nautilus

Tibor

Bauer 

Galvan 

Hatch

Loop

You will not be disappointed with any of those. 

If I personally had to pick a reel from that list I don't think the rest hold a candle to Hatch. Just my two cents on someone elses toys.