Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Salty Veins

Custom car rod rack

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

New guy here.  Seen a bunch on here about roof racks for beach buggies etc, but not as much for inside a car so I figured I'd share mine since I just wrapped up a new addition to it.  Made it custom for my Subaru Outback using oak and heavy gauge galvanized wire.  Started with the ceiling portion.  Rear section bolts to existing cargo hooks and front section hangs from hooks above the back seat.  It can only fit rods up to 8', so I wound up making an addition that drops down so I could fit my 10' surf rod (or fly rod) without having to take it apart constantly.  I made the drop down portion easily removable for the rare occurrences when I need the back seat for passengers.  The tricky part was coming up with a way to keep the rods up top from swinging and banging reels, but I came up with a bungee system that holds them in place.  Coated the parts that contact the butts with liquid electrical tape for more grip but that hasn't held up well after a season so I need to come up with something else.  All of the hooks I cut and bent myself.  Glued them into the wood and coated them with the liquid electrical tape to protect the rods.  Came out nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt for blueessss View Post

Plasti dip! Looks good but be careful and make sure those windows are tinted

I thought about Plasti Dip when I first made it but I wasn't sure if it would stick to wood so I didn't spend the money on it.  Might have to try it this year.  Windows are tinted but I definitely don't leave the rods in there all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjack View Post

so what do I do with my 11"" lamis

Guess you're stuck with a roof rack - or diagonal from corner to corner inside the car.  10' is my longest and I was surprised I could even make that fit.

2010. New style

that's such a sexy car! If i was in the market for a new vehicle it'd be a VW GTI (because I love them) or an Outback for space. My company uses Subarus and we have 2. They're so awesome

If only I could drive mine on the soft sand it would be absouletly perfect.  I went with Thule ski racks on top.  Figure the car comes with the cross bars so might as well put them into play. 

Hey Salty,

I love your design. I have tried numerous times to get that right in my expedition. Some OK but never anything I thought was perfect. My biggest problem is what you addressed with the reel sway. Your pics and statements of a bungee system is what I would like you to expand on. I would like to know just how the bungees are preventing the sway and how you did it. Also another problem I have had is attaching the cross bars to the coat hooks so the whole rack doesn't sway also. Any info you could pass along is greatly appreciated. You will like this site. Thanks, Bill

This is probably my third iteration of racks.  Waited until I was happy with the design to make it nice.

The bungees rely on the rounded shape of the rack and the grippiness of the openings to hold the rods still - well, significantly more still then they would be without any bungees.  The bungees are thin elastic cord that I made into loops (a knot would work if you could get it to hold - I used zip ties to hold the ends together since it was easier to make all of the loops the same size).  Above the openings I use a nail that sticks out a little on both sides to hold the bungees in place where there isn't a rod in the hole.  When there is a rod in the hole I simply pop the elastic off the nail on one or both sides of the rack (I usually just do one side).  I made the elastic loops small enough so that they would still put pressure on the rod when one or both sides was off the nail (but not so small that they were too tough to get back on the nail when I wanted to take the rod down).  The friction between the bungee, the rod butt, and the opening is enough to keep the reels from swinging too much.  Here's a close up from another pic I had that might make it a little clearer.

To attach the front rack to the coat hooks I used plastic coated heavy gauge utility wire (from True Value I believe).  Stiff enough but not too hard to bend, and doesn't scuff up the plastic hooks.  I made the cross bar an inch or two narrower than the width between the coat hooks.  Then I just used used a short section of the wire to attach the cross bar to the hook, making sure to snugly wrap the wire around the hook several times to keep it from popping off.  Letting the cross bar hang a little below the level of the hooks helped.

If anyone else has a custom rack let's see it!

Here's mine similar to Salty. Like he said it's trial and error, this is my third modification. The next one is going to be the whole width so I can get more rods up there. And I don't leave these in my car ever so dont start looking!