Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newcut

Numbers

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

The Gun nuts say personal defense firearms prevent 2-2.5 million violent crimes in the US a year. The gun grabbers say the number is only 100,000. Moderates pin the number at some 300,000. Using that modest estimation, 300,000/365 = 821 people who didn't get mugged raped or robbed today in the US because they chose to arm themselves. Using the gun nuts number, which looks to the uneducated like me to have been arrived at through reasonably respectable science, some 6,800 detered a violent crime against their person because they had a gun every day of the year in the US. The gun grabbers number is of some interest also, as according to even their numbers some 10 times the number who died at Newtown successfully defended themselves with a gun in the US today, and every single other day of the year.

Don't forget crimes that never happened just due to the presence of a gun, with no shots fired and no report filed.

Quite certain that makes up a large part of the gun advocates numbers.

The anti gun gang does not tell you that over 5000 people have died from gun violence since the Newtown tragedy most of them committed with hand guns.

So why go after the scary looking black semi automatic rifle that is not the cause of most of the gun deaths?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surf Cat View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by epanzella View Post

Don't forget crimes that never happened just due to the presence of a gun, with no shots fired and no report filed.

Quite certain that makes up a large part of the gun advocates numbers.

It makes up ALL of my numbers. A gun saved me twice and not a single shot was fired or report filed. The cases that are on record where shots were fired are numerous. In the American Hunter and the American Rifleman magazine there are 8 to 12 documented cases every month about people whose lives were saved by being armed. I don't know how long these magazines have been following self defense shootings, but I've been getting the magazine since 1971 and they never missed a month!.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotcow? View Post

The anti gun gang does not tell you that over 5000 people have died from gun violence since the Newtown tragedy most of them committed with hand guns.

So why go after the scary looking black semi automatic rifle that is not the cause of most of the gun deaths?

Oh, they WILL tell you that as soon as they're done with the rifles and turn their sight onto banning the pistols.  They have to use baby steps so the tourists don't catch on and start burning their Hawiian shirts.

?????

3,317 is the number I see for total gun deaths (all types, including police shootings, suicides, accidental, etc.) since Newtown. Vast majority of the deaths are in big cities run by democrats according to Slate, but I don't think that is really the point they were trying to make......

381 in California (29 - Oakland, 9 SF, 7 San Jose, 14 in Sacramento, 23 in LA, 9 in Long Beach, a dozen or so in the remaining LA area)

139 in Illinois (61 in Chicago alone)

110 NY (17 Manhattan, 22 Brooklyn, 3 Bronx, 5 Queens, - 0 in Staten Island, 7 Buffalo)

65 in Jersey (17 in Newark, 13 in Camden, 6 in Trenton).

63 in Detroit

55 Philly

54 New Orleans

46 Houston Texas

45 in Baltimore, MD.

30 - St. Louis MO

22 in CT

22 in Jacksonville Fla

22 in Washington DC

21 in Cleveland Ohio

17 in Columbus Ohio

13 in Atlanta

1105 deaths in the jurisdictions above.....

1/3 of the deaths in the country, in liberal strongholds. And, I only picked a relatively small sampling of the liberal strongholds for an example. I don't include Memphis TN (10), Las Vegas, Nevada (23), (Northwest side of) Indianapolis (31).

This Slate site is pretty cool. It gives you the death, plus a link to the news story source. If I didn't know better, I would think facial tattoos and dreadlocks highly correlate with the likelihood of being a shooting victim. Funny, it runs through many/most cities with high murder rates.

1105 deaths in the jurisdictions above.....

1/3 of the deaths in the country, in liberal strongholds. And, I only picked a relatively small sampling of the liberal strongholds for an example. I don't include Memphis TN (10), Las Vegas, Nevada (23), (Northwest side of) Indianapolis (31).

This Slate site is pretty cool. It gives you the death, plus a link to the news story source. If I didn't know better, I would think facial tattoos and dreadlocks highly correlate with the likelihood of being a shooting victim. Funny, it runs through many/most cities with high murder rates.

I wonder how many were committed using scary black rifles.

Even if only one murder was committed using scary rifles, it is one too many.

How many fewer Black children will die with only 7 round mags?

Since this is an anti-gun slanted site I got the figures from, I doubt that is something they really want to track. I would say way under 100 at this point. Since only 323 were committed using any kind of rifle in an entire year two years ago and this data is for around 4 months.