Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
branden

Heads up on quicksand

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

This may be old to many but new to me.

SFZ, Lots of new structure and deep holes.

Be careful of the high walls, especially the man made dozered ones, the cutoffs as you walk the low tide, especially incoming.

Ran into quicksand unexpectedly.

The incoming was slicing a piece off the dozered wall with each wave ... the sand there you sink in quick.

It was dicey there for a while ...crotch deep and growing with each wave.

Should have known better and walked around but it looked so tempting.

The cuts between the dozered sand is a bit more solid and may be a way out if you get to it.

Just letting folks know.

took about 15 minutes to slog out of it, but it was day and could see where it was natural and made it to it but was spent afterwards.

Debated going in the water and swimming it out it was that much pucker.

Also, no one can see you on the top sand so your on your own.

2 decent hits so someone is out there but no hookups.

First time out so far.

Lots of debris also ... 12' planks rolling in the waves so keep your eyes open.

Just a heads up.

It may be normal to many of you but caught me by surprise after all these years of walking the edge.

Play safe.

In December, I ran into sand like that in Spring Lake one night near a jetty. I went from firm sand to knee deep in one step. But a scare in me. Needless to say that jetty went unfished!

A whistle is a good idea. I'm new to surf fishing and quicksand never would have crossed my mind. Now that I think of it I had the same thing happen at the Barnegat Inlet jetty. I ended up dunking my reel.

Ran into a mud hole that was like quicksand the other day. Firm ground firm ground then all of a sudden my entire boot is in the mud. Worked it out very slowly and backed the hell up. The bottom has changed a lot, guys. Be careful when wading. This is why I fish a sealed reel even in the back bay. You never know when you need your rod and reel as a staff or help you get out of a sticky situation.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

Stepped into something like that at the hook.....bay side.....was the only one there and it was un-nerving to say the least.....finally worked my way out......some way to get an education.

Why I always try to go with a buddy, might take a while to find you. Buddy told me about a time he went up to his chest, ever since than I think twice about where I walk. And bring back up

I got stuck once in soft mud between some mussel beds in the back one time at low tide, at night, and alone. Literally could not get my boots/waders out. The thought of the tide coming in as I was stuck in the mud was nearly pure panic.

I managed to dig myself out finally and headed straight for the hills. I haven't fished the spot since.:shock:

It happened to me in Spring Lake last December just north of the pipe by Wreck Pond. I was walking along the beach, and all of a sudden one leg sunk up to my knee. Quite a struggle to get out. I'm glad it didn't happen at night. It was scary enough. If I recall my soil mechanics correctly, "Quicksand" is caused by a running current in the sand. The sand particles become suspended in the water and offer no support.

In my case, I attribute the condition to water running underground out of Wreck Pond to the Ocean. It could happen anywhere from a broken storm pipe or an underground stream.