Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DerrickT

Trout Magnet/Trout Slayer

12 posts in this topic

Pretty good product they put out and while I am not a huge fan of the trout magnet itself because they don't work for me the trout slayer seems to be pretty good.

I originally got them at Dick's to toss in the kids box for panfish, I tried them out today on a local creek. I ended up catching a bunch of large creek chubs with them. They swim pretty good but I ain't crazy on the rubber smell they got. Pretty sure they come in a combo color box like the regular magnets do. May have to pick that up.

Quite honestly the creek chub population in this area is nuts. Its nothing to catch 50 of the smaller 3 to 4 in 2 hours in this spot. And this is the only spot where I catch them this big. This one was easily pushing 10 inches but I've caught them to 12 out of this hole. Small yellow perch too. Only place on the whole creek that has them and the creek is probably 20 miles long.

Best place to get bait for catfish :D

But all the creeks are starting to get like this. On the flip side I am starting to see a lot more bass too so at least they got something to eat. Caught a smallie too yesterday at another spot and that creek has never had smallies before so hopefully that's a good sign.

Nice one D. I bet you'll see an upswing in the smallie population over the next few years with good chub numbers like that. Saw the same thing in the upper little schuylkill over the past 25 years- tons of chubs suckers and fallfish in the years after water quality improved now more and bigger bass than we ever saw as kids.

Also check out a little lure called southern pro tiny worm if you're looking for a magnet alternative.

Nice one D. I bet you'll see an upswing in the smallie population over the next few years with good chub numbers like that. Saw the same thing in the upper little schuylkill over the past 25 years- tons of chubs suckers and fallfish in the years after water quality improved now more and bigger bass than we ever saw as kids.

Also check out a little lure called southern pro tiny worm if you're looking for a magnet alternative.

Actually since you mentioned water quality, 10 years ago these creeks were a mess. Hardly ever saw and type of grass or plant growth.

Biggest contributed to that is the area and the amount of farms. Since they have cracked down on the ferterlizer thing for the Chesapeake you can see a huge difference in the water quality. Biggest sign of that is the couple creeks that seem to be starting a native trout population.

DT...when you work the trout magnet do you use a split shot in the appropriate size for stream conditons and not let the jig hit bottom ? I have a friend that kills them on 1/64 in white, black, and clear. Silliest things I ever saw. :D A jig made to not hit bottom.

Nice chub! I've caught crappies on trout magnets and the bigger crappie magnets. Bright orange color is what i like to use often. What I really need to do is put trout magnets on a spinner and throw those a while to see how fish like the combo.

Nice chub, I've been catching these things in my backyard stream  since I was a baby. It's funny though, the stream used to have lots of vegetation and sunfish, but over the last 15 years it has become completely void of plants, has a huge amount of large chubs and shiners (average fish around 8" up to a good 14" on some shiners), and the sunfish are all but gone. Some years they return in smaller numbers, but they have mostly gone downstream. 

DT...when you work the trout magnet do you use a split shot in the appropriate size for stream conditons and not let the jig hit bottom ? I have a friend that kills them on 1/64 in white, black, and clear. Silliest things I ever saw. :D A jig made to not hit bottom.

I think the biggest problem might be I just don't have the patience for that type of finess fishing. I watched a video up at Bass Pro the other week on how to fish them and pretty much what I got out of that video was I fully understand why I haven't caught anything using them and ain't no way in hell I am wasting that much time and energy on these small fish and I'll stick to my spinners and spoons. :laugh:

But I've tried fishing them every way possible and it just don't work for me.

I've caught a lot of different fish on trout magnets. I like to fish them on 2lb test with no added weight. Great lureicon14.gif. Those slayers are nice too.

I have used the trout magnet to clean holes out while other guys catch squat. I keep a kit of them in my vest, and always share if someone asks what i am using. Try fishing them under a float. It works well in streams and lakes. I have caught just about everything that swims on them.