Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Wall mounted tv question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

A couple of questions : I'm still working on finishing my basement. It has 7 foot ceilings and in the TV area I'm blocking the studs for a wall mount. At about what height would you hang the mount and therefore the blocks; is there a formula for the angle and distance away from the TV. The mount is going to be a heavy duty swing type so I can angle it into the gym area as well. I'm mounting an outlet in line with the mount and a connection outlet. I don't want to get blindsided by technology again; when I did this the last time 7 years ago in our den redo. I thought I was being smart putting a coax box, and outlet behind wher the TV went. Little did I know we'd be needing RCA cables and HDMI and Wii system and who knows what else is plugged in back there. So trying to keep up how many of what should I be hanging behind the TV and routing to the area with the boxes. What should I have in place before I put up the rock. I think MONO price is going to get a nice order, I just don't know what.

Thanks as always,

Pete

wall mounts are adjustable and are secured to the verticle studs. i just got a stud finder a drill and some nice lags and went right through the wall. its a 46" sony. so when putting the mount up u have to take into account the tv dimentions

Samsung has an app on their web page that will show you all that stuff, including a view of the tv in your room. You just plug in the all the room dimensions and tv, it will also recommend a size for your room if you haven't determined that yet.

wall mounts are adjustable and are secured to the verticle studs. i just got a stud finder a drill and some nice lags and went right through the wall. its a 46" sony. so when putting the mount up u have to take into account the tv dimentions

Jae

The studs are metal and the two studs that will anchor the block are 18 gauge steel. Instead of 20. As far as the TV fitting I was going to use the 40" Sony untill we figure the real usage of the room. I'm using blocks so the TV will be centered on the wall. I just want to make sure I have all the bases covered before the wall board goes up. Staying current with the cables is probably the harder part. Monoprice has a 3 part box that I could run multiple HDMI out of as well as RCA cables. I just need to know if there is something else cable wise on the horizon that I should be putting through the studs so I don't get caught again.

Thanks,

Pete

I would add studs from floor to ceiling and make sure they are secured to top and bottom plates and attached with screws to the steel studs. Also be sure  top and bottom plates are secured to the floor and ceiling. Build the h*** out of it, those articulating brackets exert lots of leverage. I would do a minimum of three studs but more  for future flexibility.  Horizontal blocking will only be as strong as the members they are attached to and those steel studs can buckle if they are not sistered to wood over their entire length. 

I usually use 2 layers of 3/4 plywood on cabinet backs for those brackets, and make sure everything is lag bolted. If you have floor to ceiling studs, you can surface mount  horizontal backers with lag bolts later if the bracket does not have enough side to side adjustment for the stud layout. 

You can run pvc from the tv to the location of other components. 2" would allow any plug type to be easily pushed through.

If you're worried about future wiring, put a piece of 2 inch PVC in the wall from just above the floor the just above the mount. You can get a metal 6x6 inch access panel with door for about $15 at home depot to install at the top of the PVC then you can pull thru whatever you want whenever you want. 

Great idea about the PVC guys. I 'll push some string through as well to help the process along if it comes up. I will back up the metal with wood as well and then put the blocks in. Feeling better about this already. Thanks guys.

Pete

i did my basement diy and blocked the walls with 2x8s so i could put it wherever i wanted. you still want to hit studs, but having the wood back there makes it much easier.

putting pvc is a great idea, i used these recessed in wall things to run wires, you just put one behind the tv, and one down low where your entertainment center is, near an outlet. push your insulation back a little and try to stay near a stud, it makes it easier.