Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
montauk10

can you land a big fish on your backing

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Alright guys well I have a vs 200 and I put 90 yards of mono backing and 150 yards of 65 # pop my question is if I hook up with a good fish and its takes me down to the backing will the knot hold up and land the fish (knot was a blood knot I think I got it spooled at a local tackle shop) thanks for the help

Alright guys well I have a vs 200 and I put 90 yards of mono backing and 150 yards of 65 # pop my question is if I hook up with a good fish and its takes me down to the backing will the knot hold up and land the fish (knot was a blood knot I think I got it spooled at a local tackle shop) thanks for the help

That is what that knot is for.

Damn only 150 yards of braid? I may have my measurements wrong but on a strong cast I wouldn't think that leaves much room for fish to pull before going into the backing. I buy the 350 yard spool have I been wasting my money all this time?

Ive been using 150yds for years now and havent been close to backin yet but that just me. I quess someday my luck will run out.

i have a vs200 also. i fill it like halfway with powerpro, and the rest with suffix. i like fishing with suffix, but i'm cheap. i used to back with mono, i see no difference really. i did have 1 fish take me into my backing last year. she took me wayy into the backing too, but she came around. i remember thinking... "man, this fish has been pulling for a long time" and i turned on my light to check, and i was almost out of string. i bet i had no more than 30-50yds left.

either way, i think as long as you're confident in the knot, there should be NO issues whatsoever with you getting spooled. and if it DOES come down to it, even big stripers are usually turnable. clamp down on the spool when you start to get scared, chances are with all that line out there, that fish will turn.

What are fishing for, tuna?? With 65# of braid, your drag will smoke and your rod will break before you get into the backing. Don't over think it, even with 40# braid and a proper drag setting, you can land any stripped bass that comes your way. Remember, before braided line, most guys were fishing with set ups that had 20# mono, at most, on their reels.

What are fishing for, tuna?? With 65# of braid, your drag will smoke and your rod will break before you get into the backing. Don't over think it, even with 40# braid and a proper drag setting, you can land any stripped bass that comes your way. Remember, before braided line, most guys were fishing with set ups that had 20# mono, at most, on their reels.

capacity is semi-important. if your drag smokes, you WILL pull the hooks out of a bass's face. they don't have the hardest mouths in the world, and my real fear when fighting big ones is the hooks pulling vs. ANYTHING ELSE. rarely do they spool you, break you off, cut you off, anything, but hooks will pull.

Depends on where you're fishing also. no braid under 65# will cut it for me, where i fish. 150yds should definately be enough fighting line. you cast a plug what, 50-75yds, and basses runs are normally what, 10-20yds? 150 should be plenty.

I load my VS200 with 300yrs of 30lb Suffix 832 and my backing is 17lb Suffix Seige tied with a Alberto knot. I don't know how much backing. Its about up to the holes in the spool. But I haven't cast much more than around 100 yrs or so ( that's counting handle cranks).

Of course you can, like the others said above, you better be confident in your knot if you think your going to get into your backing though.

I always spool 300 on my reels because when using lighter line i can easily hit backing on a single cast with certain tins etc.. .I have always had problems with line hitting the knot ( even the uni to uni can cause this to happen ) on really long casts when only spooling a 125 yard spool of braid.

When i have come up short on line and to avoid this issue , i will scrap the uni to uni in favor of an Alberto (a knot i often use to connect my braid running line to a heavier leader ) because it's slimmer than a uni to uni and it flat out works with similar sized lines.

I have found the Alberto reliable enough to use deeper into the spool and it's super low profile makes a difference . But your question was can you get into the backing successfully and have no issues, the answer is yes, but avoid it if you can and doing the above will help you with that