Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainer185

Best way to install Fish Finder in Kayak?

46 posts in this topic

I'm getting a little tired of just randomly looking for fishing spots and was wondering what is the best way to install a fish finder in a kayak. 

My kayak is a fun ole' Versa Board. I know its not a hardcore fishing kayak, but its all i got and was wondering if any one knew how to do install on a kayak like this one. I would like to know what the the easiest way to install a fish finder is too. Also whats a nice kayak fish finder? I know there's a lot of questions, so try your best!!!

If you don't get tons of responses, use the "search" feature. This topic has been covered multiple times... in great detail.

I had a look at the style kayak you have - not much in the way of hatches to do a more standard install. I'd think about a scupper-mount transducer and a portable ff set up (or you could rig up your own waterproof battery box and mount somewhere on top near the ff.

Just bought a fish finder for my SOT Kayak and exploring the various ways to mount the transducer. Found several great YouTube's videos on just what I may attempt. Suggest you view those and see if that helps you. I have been looking at the RAM Transducer arm from rammount.com that save you the trouble of installing the transducer in the hull for shoot thru readings or scupper mount risks.

Let me know if this helps you or what you think of the RAM arm.

Just bought some Duct Seal from Home Depot, lowe's doesn't carry it. Gonna try that real soon, itching to hit the water.

The RAM arm looks promising but may be just another thing get in the way while we are fishing. I will do more research and look for some reviews on that.

Thanks

I went the duct seal route, but I'm disappointed w/ the result. The FF is almost all black -- hard to separate the bottom from the rest of the water column.

Could I have put the duct seal on too thick? Might there be air bubbles causing this? Any suggestions for troubleshooting this would be much appreciated!

I went the duct seal route, but I'm disappointed w/ the result. The FF is almost all black -- hard to separate the bottom from the rest of the water column.

Could I have put the duct seal on too thick? Might there be air bubbles causing this? Any suggestions for troubleshooting this would be much appreciated!

You did put the kayak in the water correct? Fishfinders don't work out of the water. You can try pulling the transducer out and dropping it in the water to see if its the machine or the transducer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainer185 View Post

I'm getting a little tired of just randomly looking for fishing spots and was wondering what is the best way to install a fish finder in a kayak. 

My kayak is a fun ole' Versa Board. I know its not a hardcore fishing kayak, but its all i got and was wondering if any one knew how to do install on a kayak like this one. I would like to know what the the easiest way to install a fish finder is too. Also whats a nice kayak fish finder? I know there's a lot of questions, so try your best!!!

I use a portable totally self contained fish finder on my 16ft old town canoe. Self contained batteries, Fishing Buddy Hummin Bird.  For several years I had a portable fish finder that

was self contained, transducer was on suction cup which I just fastened to bottom of my 17ft Gruman canoe.  Worked good. Once in awhilethe cup would come loose and just reset it.

The portable self contained FF are much improved as to compact ness what they can do etc.

If you dont already have it solved I could try to helpp more.  I don't know what your kayak looks like.

Good Luck.

I built a box to store my FF in when moving at any speed.  I converted a heavy gauge carboard box put foam padding in bottom and sides at bottom and the water proofed it with

Scotch Guard sillicone spray.

Okie Angler

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie Angler View Post

I use a portable totally self contained fish finder on my 16ft old town canoe. Self contained batteries, Fishing Buddy Hummin Bird.  For several years I had a portable fish finder that

was self contained, transducer was on suction cup which I just fastened to bottom of my 17ft Gruman canoe.  Worked good. Once in awhilethe cup would come loose and just reset it.

The portable self contained FF are much improved as to compact ness what they can do etc.

If you dont already have it solved I could try to helpp more.  I don't know what your kayak looks like.

Good Luck.

I built a box to store my FF in when moving at any speed.  I converted a heavy gauge carboard box put foam padding in bottom and sides at bottom and the water proofed it with

Scotch Guard sillicone spray.

Okie Angler

are you fishing salt water or fresh water.  

Use duck seal for your transducer (easy to remove). I was not into it until tried on 3 of my kayaks and they work great. I have been out to salt water 20x last year on 1 of them and no issue and I transport it up side down too.