Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfnfish93

Avoiding Gut Hooking Trout

31 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I normally fish with lures 99% of the time in freshwater. The one exception is when I am trout fishing, I like to try powerbait when the lures dont work. Lately, I have been gut hooking way more fish than I am ok with, I hate killing these fish or hurting their chances of survival. How can I at least lower the rate that I am gut hooking these fish?

I know circle hooks work, but can they be used for fishing powerbait for trout (id need a small hook)

Ive been holding the rod and setting the hook as soon as I feel a strike, Ive also tried slightly larger and smaller hooks....no luck.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Don't try to get the hook out !. Don't net the fish! If your going to release it just play it in, bend over and cut the line close to the fish and let it keep the hook! It will rust out in a few days.

Don't try to get the hook out !. Don't net the fish! If your going to release it just play it in, bend over and cut the line close to the fish and let it keep the hook! It will rust out in a few days.

Thats what I did, I just still worry about whether or not they will survive

It's the nature of bait fishing that there will be some mortality. Just don't rush them in against raging currents. Kind of baby them in around the slower water and never dangle them from the hook! If I do see one with blood streaming from its gills , thats the fish I eat or give away.I've caught fish with more face and mouth jewelry then Dennis Rodman!

In the winter i fish worms and grubs 90% of the time i caught about 65+ trout from Christmas to the march stocking .I gut hooked 3 fish those are the ones i keeped this year .I use a #8 flyhook it's call offset egg caddis , and it jaw hooks almost everytime. If you feel the strike you dont set the hook like normal .Instead i reeldown and at the same time slowly sweepset the hook like a LMB only steady pressure not a jerkset. It's amazing how the hook seats itself and rarely guthooks , works with worms and grubs well also powerbaits and curlytail grubs . One of the guthooked i didn't even know was on i was so cold and he had the worm deep . There taking lures now so bait is on the shelve till next winter unless i go for perch .

In the winter i fish worms and grubs 90% of the time i caught about 65+ trout from Christmas to the march stocking .I gut hooked 3 fish those are the ones i keeped this year .I use a #8 flyhook it's call offset egg caddis , and it jaw hooks almost everytime. If you feel the strike you dont set the hook like normal .Instead i reeldown and at the same time slowly sweepset the hook like a LMB only steady pressure not a jerkset. It's amazing how the hook seats itself and rarely guthooks , works with worms and grubs well also powerbaits and curlytail grubs . One of the guthooked i didn't even know was on i was so cold and he had the worm deep . There taking lures now so bait is on the shelve till next winter unless i go for perch .

Thanks I will check that out

Most likely gonna die anyways. Keep them or cut the line leaving a some hanging out of the mouth so the next guy doesn't get a surprise when he guts them.

and use very small light wire hooks like for fly tying

A good idea maybe use a bigger sized hook,and use hooks with barb smashed down. Usually on all my flies i mash down the barbs. It helps getting the hook out quick and easy and the fish is in better shape,and not torn up mouth.