Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Somethingsfishy

Thresher Anniversery

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

One of the few news stories I remember vividly from my youth, I was 13, was when the Thresher went down. Dad had gotten the sailboat in early that year and we were going on our shakedown cruise out of Salem Ma., eventually heading to the Vineyard. Dad, a Navy guy, wanted to see if we could have a distant look at the sub. We did, but I don't remember much about it as I was not that interested. A day or two later she went down. Dad was upset at the news, as upset as I remember him getting. He was quite the stoic as many of the WW2 military guys are/were. I think that's why I remember it so, no so much the sub sinking but because my father was so upset.

i feel it's only fitting we remember all who went down with her 50 years ago.

I have vague recollections of the event. Got to remember, the media and daily news wasn't even close to what it is today. I was about 10 years old, and I can still recall the News Bulletin thing coming across the b&w screen followed my the old 'we inturupt this program for a special news alert'. May have even been Walter Cronkite.

I often wondered what those poor sobs were thinking on their way down? :(

Excellent article in National Geographic. When she let go they would not have had a whole lot of time to think about anything. That incident was a good part of the spark for the underwater vehicle research and development that resulted in the technology used today by Woods Hole and in sub rescue/recovery/investigation.

Hi, Terrible tragedy re the Thresher. My company had a couple of components on her, anchor windless valves as well as main and emergency water induction valves. What is generally not know or spoken about, is she almost sank on her true maiden voyage, As the story was given, it stuck down deep (depth was secret) and she had to come up on her dive planes . There was also a problem there, but not as catastrophic as the induction valves. After she docked as was initially examined, the vendors of the balky valves and other components were called in on an emergency conference. On arriving, we inspected my company's components, and some interesting, and as yet (to my knowledge) inexplicable and unauthorized changes had been made to our manufacture of the dive plane valves. The original specs and delivered specs, were at odds with what were installed and what were found in the sub"s control system. The original and mil- spec valves were to be made of chrome molly steel, while the installed units, were made from carbon steel. The design spec for the carbom steel valves is about 1/2 that of chrome molly. The malfuction HAD to happen, if the boats hydraulic system was to function at its design pressure. The project manager at EB had no explanation for the changes except, their motor mech liked to play w/duplicating mil-speced material and manufacture, w/components he made on the ship's lathe from the the carbon steel carried for repairs on-board the sub. Needless to say all the offending valves were replaced after being tested metallurgically as well as functionally, before and after replacement. What has haunted me for all these years, did that egotistical clown motor mech do it again on the second voyage, or was it his job from a foreign interest to do it, or did the milspec material come from the mill mis marked? That is not likely. Anyway, good luck, guys who were on the Thresher, at least, hopefully, it was fast. CaseyGhee