Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tsmalls57

Spinfisher v

10 posts in this topic

I want to start by saying I only use penn reels. I like the company and love the history they have in fishing. Last season was my fist season surf fishing and I used a 10 ft. Ugly stick paired with a penn 650 ss. I was very happy with the set up even thought it was not a lami blank paired with a mortgage payment reel. This winter I received a new tsunami rod and new penn 5500 ssv reel. Love the reel out of the box, feels nice with the rod however I do not believe the underwater fishability of the reel. I went out last week and while working on a few wind knots I let the reel dunk under the water for a few moments to fix the knots and then kept fishing. Just for curiosity I opened up the gear box of the reel today and there was moisture inside. While I will not return the product, it am.sligtly disappointed because I do believe what penn says about their products. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced any similar issues but just figured I would throw my 2 cents in. I am glad penn continues to make products that are reasonably priced and are well built, but lets just make sure we are making accurate claims about something being water tight!

I want to start by saying I only use penn reels. I like the company and love the history they have in fishing. Last season was my fist season surf fishing and I used a 10 ft. Ugly stick paired with a penn 650 ss. I was very happy with the set up even thought it was not a lami blank paired with a mortgage payment reel. This winter I received a new tsunami rod and new penn 5500 ssv reel. Love the reel out of the box, feels nice with the rod however I do not believe the underwater fishability of the reel. I went out last week and while working on a few wind knots I let the reel dunk under the water for a few moments to fix the knots and then kept fishing. Just for curiosity I opened up the gear box of the reel today and there was moisture inside. While I will not return the product, it am.sligtly disappointed because I do believe what penn says about their products. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced any similar issues but just figured I would throw my 2 cents in. I am glad penn continues to make products that are reasonably priced and are well built, but lets just make sure we are making accurate claims about something being water tight!

if you go on the Penn forum the one thing they will tell you is you have to make sure that all I think 7-9 areas are sealed. only reason why you would have any water or moisture in the reel. they not waterproof and not made for skishing.

I guess I was under the impression that they were skishable if you wanted to do so. Again I am a big Penn fan and like there products just was surprised that after one use there was water in there. Still think its a great product. Were the old "z" series reels watertight ?

I guess I was under the impression that they were skishable if you wanted to do so. Again I am a big Penn fan and like there products just was surprised that after one use there was water in there. Still think its a great product. Were the old "z" series reels watertight ?

No the only reel that is water tight that is made by Penn is the torque. Also Penn is remaking the 704's if your looking to get one of them

I think those torque reels are pretty cool looking. Not sure how they compare to the van staals or zee bass reels but I am kind of sick of hearing people you need one of those in order to get it done. People have been using penn reels for years and have done pretty dam well! Really feel like some of these people just need expensive stuff just to validate themselves.

I think those torque reels are pretty cool looking. Not sure how they compare to the van staals or zee bass reels but I am kind of sick of hearing people you need one of those in order to get it done. People have been using penn reels for years and have done pretty dam well! Really feel like some of these people just need expensive stuff just to validate themselves.

So you come online to complain about the problems with your $170 dollar reel, then want to talk crap about people that bought $600 reels so they don't have the same problems as yours :confused::confused:

No please don't take it like that not looking to talk crap about people just saying it bothers me when you hear people say you have to have a vs or see bass sorry if it came across wrong.

No please don't take it like that not looking to talk crap about people just saying it bothers me when you hear people say you have to have a vs or see bass sorry if it came across wrong.

I think what most mean about that is you need a Torque, VS or ZB to get it done seriously dunking your reel or using your rod as a wading staff and/or skishing.

People did it for years before those came along packing reels with grease and meticulous maintenance (elbow grease). Those are your alternatives :).

best

Exactly! Thank you for clarifying that! Was looking at some pictures in another thread of drilled out 704's there really cool looking I know after te machining there close to same prices as higher end reels anyone know if they are as effective?