Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcat

Old Tin ID

6 posts in this topic

I picked this tin up at a local bait shop in Stamford CT. It's stamped ED's 9 on the top side. It's probably made from a mix of block tin and lead as tried polishing it with Flitz metal polish but couldn't get much shine.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about ED's tins.

Thanks,

MCAT. 1000100010001000

I have some of Ed's tins also.

This one is a sandeel pattern. Fast sinker that is all keel and no wings on the side of the keel. The ones that are wider and have more wing to keel ratio flutter down better. The ones that are all tin sink more slowly than lead or mixed. That is why 100% tin is more desirable along with the "glow" real tin has when polished up a bit (rubbed in the sand before use).

Tins have been catching fish since the Pilgrams landed. Great lures.

Ted

Ted, thanks for info. I also found out from a good friend and tin officianado, who also has several of Ed's tins, that they were made during the post WW II era. He found a reference to Ed's tins in a book written Milt Rosco.

Yup!

I've been into them for years. Even the lead ones are fine if you paint them white or yellow. They catch fish even at night. I have a neck of hackle with very long thin feathers that I tie onto short shank Mustad 9175's, the old tin coated hooks from Norway.

All of this talk has me wishin' to be fishin'

Ted