Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cow tamer

When to replace a clip (breakaway or TA type) ?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Going through some of my leaders and decided it was time to replace some of the clips that appeared to be somewhat open with use.

When do you replace your clips ? What do you look for ?

When i used breakaways I would replace em after every few trips as they would develop a small gap and seem weak after repeated plug changes.

Now that I use TA clips I barely replace them, ill cut off the leader and reuse the clip. Only time I replace them is when they get beat up or get rough spots from jigging or so something.

A great use for old clips is to use them on the back of eel skin plugs to stop the skin from fouling.

Once you begin using the TA clips you will never go back to traditional swivels. The transition is much easier, quicker, and they are more reliable. The TA clips are well more durable, they can last for a much longer time, I use a few different sizes and never really have to change them, occasionally i will lose one or get one snagged and bend it a little bit, thats the only time it is neccassary to change them. You have to get the TA name brand, the imitation TA clips have been disappointing.

Once you begin using the TA clips you will never go back to traditional swivels. The transition is much easier, quicker, and they are more reliable. The TA clips are well more durable, they can last for a much longer time, I use a few different sizes and never really have to change them, occasionally i will lose one or get one snagged and bend it a little bit, thats the only time it is neccassary to change them. You have to get the TA name brand, the imitation TA clips have been disappointing.

I will agree the TA clips are better constructed, however, particularly some jigs and rubber are not only difficult putting on but getting off. At 3AM I'm not looking for a test, my eyes and fingers aren't what they once were. I use the TA clips when I'm uising heavier stuff, rod, reel, line, lure, etc. still like a duo-lock for convenience and for fish under 20lbs, (which 99% in NJ are) they are fine.