Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yakrich

Gore Tek Dry Pants

14 posts in this topic

I just bought some lightweight breathable waterproof paddling pants from a Kayak store in Rockport, MA (can't remember what it was called). Got 'em on sale for $35 reduced from $90. Seem pretty good and have velcro fastening neoprene around the waist and ankles to help keep water out. Seems like a good deal if they still have them.

I have never liked the clammyness of dry suits and tops and prefer to use my gortex rainpants over polorfleece sweatpants in cold weather. We are fishing this time of year in either shorts or light nylon pants.

When fishing in the surf in cold weather I still use a modern wetsuit.

barrell

The point of the breathable dry pants is sort of like having a cooler version of the breathable waders.I will take 10 -15 mile paddles in warm weather but do not want to have a wet a.. the whole time.Paddleing pants do not have the latex ankle gaskets that will keep out water when you wade.There are plenty of waterproof breathable paddleing pants out but the kokatat that Rich found seems to be the only breathable dry pant out there.Wearing a non breathable wet suit or full breathable waders is just to hot during the summer days or evenings.

Doug M

Doug, try Stolquist also. I know they have a full line of drysuits, not sure on pants and tops though.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Mullet Miller (edited 08-13-2002).]

I have a navigator and a Tarpon.I cross very choppy waters and both of them will fill with water.I have a breathable dry suit already.My current dry pants are made by Stolquist but they are not breathable and have begun to leak already.I am going to order the ones from Kokatat,unless some other company makes the same one for less.

Thanks guys Doug M

I also have an inflatable cushion that helps but is not the final solution.

I would stay away from any kind of "cushion" that will increase your center of gravity. It makes you less stable. Kayaking is a wet sport, deal with it.

Spend the $ on good clothing.

I have an old breathable rainsuit which I got about 8 years ago and the pants work just fine. I too paddle Tarpon and learned early on to leave the scupper plugs out! Wet buts and the associated "Chaffing" are not fun.

When having a wet butt is uncomfortable, I use 3mm neoprene skiff shorts. They keep your butt dry while alos adding cushion. On top of these, wear whatever else that will keep you warm, cool, or dry. Annapolis Performance Sailing sells these shorts for about $75. Just my $0.02

Hi Barrell,

True for a WIDE Kayak like the one you described or other similar boat. I come from the Sea Kayak/Whitewater Kayak community - boats 23" wide. Being an inch higher makes a big difference. Forgot, these fishing yaks are very wide & stable.

2 weeks to go & counting until my Tarpon arrives !

yakrich