Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillT

Lures for Cabo

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Heading to Cabo mid May and need some info on what type of lures might work there. This will be my first time there and can use any info about fishing there.

Heading to Cabo mid May and need some info on what type of lures might work there. This will be my first time there and can use any info about fishing there.

Sorry Bill, just saw this post.

Cabo Lures:

Metal like Castmasters and Deadly Dicks. "Skip Jigs" like Roberts Rangers and Cabo Killers (<--these you get in Cabo). Then the usual assortment of poppers and stick baits (Yo-Zuri, Daiwa) round it out. Jansen's is the shop in Cabo that is a must visit for all of the latest info and gear.

There's a guy who guides the beaches in Cabo (I haven't fished them, I have fished the East Cape just up the road) who everyone swears by, reason being there is kinda wacky access to most of the beaches with local knowledge key. I'm sorry, I'm forgetting his name (Wesley?) but after bumping this thread hopefully someone will chime in. He's like $80 a day and can get you on the fish from the beach like no one else there.

best

Wesley is now chartered through Pisces in Cabo. They also handle the charters on our boat. He does catch a lot of fish and will take you to beach you never would have heard of. He is now $120 a day, Tracy has to get her cut. ;) Look up Pisces Sportfishing and you will find him. May is a great time to fish the beach there as the warmer water is in. Last trip I only caught one Sierra though I didn't get to fish that much. That is another story. Definitely Roberts Ranges. I use 2.5 ounce models in red/white and blue silver. I change out the single hook for a treble. You can also read the the fleet fishing reports on the Pisces site. Check out Shambala if you want a great charter.

Cabo

I just did a trip with Wesley in Cabo last week. Fished some great beaches and raised a few fish. April can be tough and it was for me that day but I'd highly recommend Welsey. Had a great time amd fished some spots you need local knowledge and access to fish. Hes hooked up with Century and Daiwa, with the 12'6" Slingshots we were casting to the horizon. You can pm Wes aka Cabo SurfCaster here on SOL or call Piesces direct.

I too like the surface tensions like smell fish! When the wind blows though I switch to the cabo killers or the ballyhoo from Jansen Lures. Another guy I know loves to fish the loaded Tsunmai Talkin popper in the electric school bus color, finally another simple lure is the ice cream cone "skinny". Large poppers or swimmers around the rocks for the pargo/cubera and metals for the sierra. AOK makes a couple great lures for sierra. If you do not want to pack a bunch of lures go to Jansens by Mar de Cortez for just about everything you need or book with Wesley to learn the "how to's" and the access points to beach areas. Good luck and have fun!