Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishfreak38

New to Chesapeake

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to Chesapeake. Had to move here for family reasons. Came from Orlando area and had been fishing Mosquito Lagoon / Indian River areas for last 12 years on a two to three times a month basis. Targeted redfish on the flats mostly. Own a Sterling, 18.5 ft poling skiff with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Any suggestions on where to wet a line and what kind of species to expect in the area. I like to fish strictly artificial if possible and ALWAYS, Catch & Release. Looking forward to learning the ropes around here.

Thanks,

Fishfreak38

Poling skiff...Shallow water, flat bottom boat right?

Don't see them much around here, at least by me.

Don't be discouraged, there are plenty of flat water marshes, creeks and the like.

How well does your boat handle the chop?

The Bay can go from flat to choppy at the turn of a bend. It can get wet and bouncy, add in a few boat wakes, and we have a washing machine.

Chesapeake City is on the Canal, IIRC. Go to the MdDNR site for a list of boat ramps, and drop her in.

Just be careful with a flat bottomed, low freeboard boat in our waters.

Thanks for the tips Dena. Boat handles well in choppy waters just a little wet. Drove by the bay a couple of times and it was fairly choppy like you mention. Looking forward to getting out there.