Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harbor rat john

penn spinfisher v which one

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

It feels like my 4500 doesn't have much pulling power. I wish I bought the 5500 instead.

It's all personal preference but what do you mean it doesn't have enough pulling power? The 4500 has 25 lbs of drag, weighs in around 16 - 17 oz and wraps 34 inches of line per handle turn.

The 5500 has 30 pounds of drag, weighs close to 21 -22 oz and wraps 35 inches of line per handle turn.

For a 9 footer i like the 4500, especially if that 9 footer weighs around 9 - 11 oz built . That would balance really nice . The 4500 has plenty of capacity and has plenty of drag, fwiw, the classic Penn 706 and 704 Z series reels come no where close to the drag ranges of the 4500 or 5500 models, pulling power my foot lol. They have more than enough, you wont use anywhere close to 25 pounds of drag during typical surf fishing.

Depends on where you fish and what shape you are in. I fish a  Slammer 360 that weighs 12 oz or so.  I have one good  shoulder ,and it's the wrong one, so every oz helps. Have landed  up to 30# fish in heavy current but that's pushing it's limit. Easily handles 36" fish in any conditions though.I think the 4500 has roughly the same line capacity as that slammer so it may be light on line if you get big fish in strong water on a regular basis. I don't. I believe the 4500 has a heavier drag so that may improve the capabilities although they hold similar quantities of line. Will probably get a Cabo 50 next as it seems to have the most line capacity in its weight class @14 oz and holds a lot of line. Keep it as light as possible and you can carry more plugs and snacks.

By pulling power I meant:

(I have not caught a fish on my 4500 yet, but...) when some of the larger lures I've thrown into the river "swing" and I need to pull them in against a strong current, I've notice how hard it is to reel in. The 4500 has a small handle and knob, too.

By contrast, when using a Shimano Sidestab 2500 (yeah, that's my back-up for lures) in same application, it requires less effort to reel in.

I'm happy as hell with the line-lay, casting distance, (can only assume drag until I catch something), bail trip, etc.

I'm just saying the reel don't muscle things in for ya. I will, of course, provide my own muscle when needed.

By pulling power I meant:

(I have not caught a fish on my 4500 yet, but...) when some of the larger lures I've thrown into the river "swing" and I need to pull them in against a strong current, I've notice how hard it is to reel in. The 4500 has a small handle and knob, too.

By contrast, when using a Shimano Sidestab 2500 (yeah, that's my back-up for lures) in same application, it requires less effort to reel in.

I'm happy as hell with the line-lay, casting distance, (can only assume drag until I catch something), bail trip, etc.

I'm just saying the reel don't muscle things in for ya. I will, of course, provide my own muscle when needed.

I got ya, it's funny that you mention that, i have been testing a 4500 SSV Liveliner reel and i suggested to Penn that i thought the handle shaft should be longer for easier reeling. I also suggested a few other minor things so we will see if they decide to address it. The ease of reeling has a lot to do with the size of the drive gear and in the 4500 it's pretty small.

It does wrap well and cast well for a non worm drive oscillation system though.