Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xjma

MA resident bought boat from RI....registering trailer??

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place but I thought I'd get a better answer here in the MA forum??

So I recently purchased a boat, motor & trailer from a guy in RI, three separate bills of sale. He just let me take the trailer with the RI plate and the registration says that it expires at the end of this month. The MA RMV site has been no help to my particular situation!! The gross trailer weight is under 2k.

Can anyone point me in a direction other than showing up at an RMV office with a bunch of cash, the RI Reg, and the bill of sale in my hand??

Also, how does one pull a John Kerry in terms of the boat and keeping it registered in RI to avoid paying sales tax??

Thanx for the advice!!

It should be pretty easy to register the trailer. I live in Boston and bought a boat and trailer from a guy in Rhode Island. I called my insurance agent and she sent me the paperwork to register the trailer as homemade. Call your agent or just go to the Registry and tell them you want to register your homemade trailer.

Why would you want to cheat the system . If you live in ma should you not reg. it in the state u live in? To save a very little money!

Screw the system. I do everything I can to give as little as possible to this state.

Well when he is moving his boat with ma plates on his car and r I plates on the trailer. You don't think you will get asked by cops or a epo at a launch .will cost you more money in the long run.. And I don't know how you can reg trailer as home made you have to have a title

If you have a title and clear markings on the existing trailer to confirm the title then registering it that way should work. The problem is, when you buy a boat from someone the trailer is sometimes a throw-in and there is no clear paperwork for the trailer and no clear value for the trailer. Since MA charges you sales tax on out of state vehicle and trailer purchases things can get sticky as establishing value on a trailer is difficult. If you simply register it as homemade you can place a value on it and pay sales, and eventually excise tax, on it accordingly. It simplifies the process for the person registering the trailer, the State gets its money, and everyone is happy. I don't see it as cheating the system at all. If you feel queasy about it just make sure you value the trailer properly and you will pay the appropriate sales tax. It's not about cheating the system, it's about getting your trailer registered legally with as little bs as possible. If you feel uncomfortable with what I'm telling you just drive to the registry with your paperwork from the seller, and your checkbook, and just pray it is the only trip you'll have to make.

To answer SharkLobsters last question, all you have to do is apply for a title and the registry will charge you an extra $50.00 (?) and will mail you a title for your new homemade trailer.....simple.

Well when he is moving his boat with ma plates on his car and r I plates on the trailer. You don't think you will get asked by cops or a epo at a launch .will cost you more money in the long run.. And I don't know how you can reg trailer as home made you have to have a title

You can absolutely register a trailer as home made. Also, many people I know register out of state without any issue with state local or environmental police. They don't care where the trailer or boat is registered they just care that it is registered.

Thanx for the info Chunkah, that's a good explanation. I'm fine registering it as homemade and now I understand why one would do that.

I wish MA was like NH registering a sled or a quad. All they want is the year, make, model, VIN, color and your money, no title needed.

You might want to look into registering the trailer in Maine. No title needed if it's 1994 or older, or under 3000# empty weight. Cheapest rates in the northeast as well.

Nothing special is needed to register in RI.

Just have to list your home port as somewhere in RI.

My boats reg is RI and the trailer has Montana tags ( no sales tax, no excise tax,one time lifetime registration), and my truck has a Mass farm plate. Lol. Never once have I been questioned.

Never, ever happens,and if they want to question, it's 100% legal and documented.

You can absolutely register a trailer as home made. Also, many people I know register out of state without any issue with state local or environmental police. They don't care where the trailer or boat is registered they just care that it is registered.

I would be very cautious doing that as there is a weight restriction, anything over that weight (not sure what it is) requires certification of the axle(s) welding and other components that has to be done from a manufacturing or similar shop. Get the title and regester it the right way and avoid the hassel!

title 4 a trailer in ma is only requiered over 3000 lb under the rmv wants previous owners regstration and bill of sale.Any trailer can be regs as homemade but over 3000lb requires inspection.ma does not requier title on moters like ri but the boat title must be noterized its a ri law but you have to obied by it when reg in ma from ri.