Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

For those who use electric power...........

6 posts in this topic

I just ordered a Evertroll battery from Cabelas today. This battery/charger set up used to run $599.99 and tons were sold on the BASS circuit. The reviews of this source of power were in a word...awesome. But, the price was obsurd.

In a recession retail sales are bargains on some items. Well this Evertroll battery was listed in the Cabelas Catalog for $299.99 a savings of $300.00. Now, when you consider this is a battery and a charger that is 30% lighter (my wet cell battery was 76lb this is 46lb thats more than 30%), only takes 7 hours to fully charge, runs at full volume till depletion (no slow death wink.gif), has a unconditional 3 year warantee, and claims to runs twice as long as lead acid batteries(my lead acid battery gave me 5-6 hours running a 46lb Riptide Minn Kota trolling motor): the price per value as a primary source of power in a kayak becomes a bargain.

Tim and Dubs can tell you what I went through when I pushed the envelope too far one day while fishing and I had to paddle my fully rigged Stealth 2 miles against current and tide after my battery went dead. This was like paddling a sunken mini van.....no fun at all! frown.gif

I will keep the board informed on this years project power source and if it is or is not the answer to my prayers. Thought I would pass the value on.

That's a great price. I spoke with the company earlier in the year because I wanted to see if they could be charged with a solar charger. I think in terms of being remote with all gear, like in baja. Unfortunately I was told that it can't be charged this way. I'll be curious when you get one Jim.

Jon, The only way to charge is via their dedicated charger and 110v. This charger is integrated within the battery box.

Key point is it is a 180ah rated battery at 46lbs of weight....my set up will push this battery to the limit as the 46lb thrust Riptide has a considerable draw with a Fishnbuddy drag and the design of the Stealth (not to mention my 330lb carcas in it). I will be on vacation during the Susky Flats C&R season and will intentionally test the hours of usage during this Aprils time period.

I will keep the board informed. It is supposed to be the best available trolling motor power source.....we will see!