Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mingao

Spinning reel rommendation needed

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Penn battles are very nice reels for the money also there new spinfisher model also check out the shimano stradics they are very nice reels take a ride to a couple of your local tackle shops and see what they have to offer and play arround with a few reels even bring your rod with you to the shop and test fit the reels for feel/balance and see what you like best good luck.

Stradic 8000fJ, Saragosa 8k, Saltist 4500, SSV5500

x2

You really want to get a little tougher reels than the Battle though it would work for a short time.

Loreto is going to be Dorado and schoolie Tuna and maybe some hard pulling Pargo. A really solid drag like on the SSV or the better Shimanos is really what you want.

best

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauley1 View Post

Stradic 8000fJ, Saragosa 8k, Saltist 4500, SSV5500

x3, these are nice options - that are going to last you...without breaking the bank..

Saragosa 8000 is a very good reel in the upper end of your budget around $230 new.  It is very simple to service and stands up very well in saltwater.  It also has a lot of nice shimano features on it.

for whatever its worth I just bought 2 of the 2012 Quantum Cabos for $90 apiece , $200 was the normal price. One of those internet tackle stores was having a clearance sale on them. I do not have exp with these reels so I used the search function here to see what people said and it was about 90% favorable. maybe worth looking into. good luck

Goo

Has anyone used the penn slammer?

The oder USA models were Good reels & in my opinion better than the newer.but if your planning on putting it on the Lami I'd spend a few more bucks & go with the Saragosa . You'll be a happy camper.

I have a slammer360 made in USA. It works OK, but does not have the smoothness that a quantum Cabo or a Stradic has. I have it spooled with 20lb fireline, and keep it strictly as a backup. I have no complaint in how it works, but there are better choices IMO

I've seen negative reviews for the Saltist. I do like it's 53" of line recovery/turn. The Saragosa is a little heavy.

Take a look at the article (in the articles section of this site) I did on the maintenance/upgrades you can do to make a Saltist worthy.

For general use I would recommend an Stradic FJ first and foremost followed by the SSV for it's brillian drag, but if you are fishing for roosters the Saltist and it's high speed retrieve is very, very useful.

best

I've seen negative reviews for the Saltist. I do like it's 53" of line recovery/turn. The Saragosa is a little heavy.

Take a look at the article (in the articles section of this site) I did on the maintenance/upgrades you can do to make a Saltist worthy.

For general use I would recommend an Stradic FJ first and foremost followed by the SSV for it's brilliant drag, but if you are fishing for roosters the Saltist and it's high speed retrieve is very, very useful.

best