Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Solid State Drives

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

The squashed - fly blob of dead pixels on my laptop is indeed due to screen problems, not a software conflict or a problem with whatever installed video card or circuitry is in the machine. The geek with whom I conferred today may be less knowledgeable then I thought; at my suggestion, rather than his, we plugged an external monitor into the laptop, and thereby verified that it was screen failure. There may or may not be a replacement screen available, but no big deal if not. I'm reading to update myself, and as usual, I'm getting interested in the state of the art without particular regard for why I may need a replacement laptop in the first place.

Now, in reading about things laptopish, I see that solid state drives are proliferating like rabbits. You can get SSDs that are integrated into a hybrid drive; I gather they serve almost as a superbuffer, much as a huge block of RAM would do. Since SSDs are available as an aftermarket component, and buying one as an OEM install does an awful lot to jack up the price, are you better off adding one after purchase? Unless you're running Photoshop or Autodesk or something like that, is there any reason to even bother?

SSDs' chief advantage is apparently the speed of response. The rated capacities are a lot less than those of hard drives. If anyone knows, would a OEM-standard SSD have enough space for MS Office, and one piggy program, on the order of Photoshop Elements? [DNS v. 12.5 Legal Edition, in my case.] I see the ThinkPad Edge series, Lenovo's business line, can be had with an SSD of 160 GB. Surely that's enough? If I decide to store ten thousand high-resolution photos on the thing, I could always add a hard drive later, yes?

How reliable and durable are current SSDs? Would I need a backup drive that also is built around an SSD to back the system up?

Brian,

You have a LOT of pretty in-depth PC related questions. Have you gone onto Tom's Hardware forums at all? If not, they are pretty awesome in the Q&A department. I've been looking into building my 1st PC and they have been great over there.

Just something to think about.

All I can tell you about Solid State is that it seems like the way to go nowadays. Beyond that, I'm in the dark like you. So much has changed. Hard to keep up.

I'm spending a lot of time at Tom's. Once I get interested in something, I do tend to pursue it in some detail. SOL is where I'm used to gabbing, I guess.

I'm spending a lot of time at Tom's. Once I get interested in something, I do tend to pursue it in some detail. SOL is where I'm used to gabbing, I guess.

I hear ya. Those guys on Tom's are a little snotty at times, lol. I'm the same way though. I research things to the max too. For PC stuff, those guys are where it's at. They just speak on a higher plane than I'm at. :D

there isn't any data recovery with the new drives .

you lost the drive you lost the data

RAM everything runs in RAM

GPU yep vid cards got 'em, RAM too

64 bit standard OS

patch it

there isn't any data recovery with the new drives .

you lost the drive you lost the data

RAM everything runs in RAM

GPU yep vid cards got 'em, RAM too

64 bit standard OS

patch it

mac fusion drive make sense to you?

From my personal experience, stick with the Intel's if you do go with SSD's. Personally I'm not 100% sold on any of them, they are noticeably faster but not as reliable as a good WD or Seagate IMO.

I've seen other brands fail, at a much higher rate than a standard HD. I cloned a batch of 10 new PC's a couple months back, within 30 days 3 of the SSD's had failed, forgot the brand name. That was a batch of non Intel's, the only one we tried, before going right back to the Intel's.

For a laptop an SSD is the holy way to go. They don't fail if you drop or bump you PC. Boot times are around 30 seconds and very reliable. I've been using Samsung 500 GB in my laptop for 5 years. I also have them in my desktop for the OS running in a RAID 0 configuration.

It's the only way to go. If you buy an aftermarket, make a disk image of you C Drive using Windows Backup, install SSD, and boot with rescue disk to restore to new drive, done.

I was playing around on newegg and stumbled across AMD APU's. They are putting cpu/gpu on one chip and the GPU side is high quality DX11 . Very interesting stuff from AMD . :read:

For a laptop an SSD is the holy way to go. They don't fail if you drop or bump you PC. Boot times are around 30 seconds and very reliable. I've been using Samsung 500 GB in my laptop for 5 years. I also have them in my desktop for the OS running in a RAID 0 configuration.

It's the only way to go. If you buy an aftermarket, make a disk image of you C Drive using Windows Backup, install SSD, and boot with rescue disk to restore to new drive, done.

Excellent. Thank you.

A couple of the boys had recommended ASUS in the past and I'm looking them over now. Not the best web site, but the reviews are nice, and it appears - tentatively - that they use better components than do Dell or HP.

Asus is going downhill.They still offer better products than those listed.Customer support is non existent . Laptops are for the most part made to be disposable.When major parts fail you throw them out.You can fix them but in the long run the repair parts and costs equal to a good lump of the price of a newer one. SSD are a nice upgrade but space is limited.So space management will be something you will have to employ.I would stay away from windows 8 also. I haven't used it but have done my research and heard from people first hand about it.It has been compared to vista.My desktop runs on an Intel SSD,core i7,8gb ram,win7 ultimate,ATI 7770 and it boots up faster than SOL loads on a good day. :D

Well .... alas. I'd be happy to pay a 50% premium for simple idiot reliability, but you can't; the PC/laptop business is a commodity business and they all use the same component suppliers. I note that a lot of business - oriented laptops haven't been refreshed for awhile.

You did just answer my question earlier about the size of SSD needed, and the need for a second drive. If a dead solid drive is dead, dead, dead, you want to have backed up, preferably to something on the laptop itself as well as to an external drive; and you want to practice good space management.

This is fun. I'm learning lotsa stuff.

Brian I have been utilizing SSD's on a majority of my builds for the last 2 years. As far as reliability goes so far the Intel and OCZ units have been error free. Intel gives a 5 years warranty on their units which speaks volumes to me. On the flip side, the Crucial units have been nothing short of horrible. Out of 30 or so units installed, ALL have needed firmware upgrades and half of them have been returned only to receive 'refurbished' units in return. I will not use then ever again. Just for a benchmark I build an average of 5-10 machines a month and tend to try and tinker with the latest and greatest new gadgets available.

Asus, while not having the best customer service around, still put together the best laptop for the buck out there, their mobo's are still top tier and their large monitors blow everyone else away in the same price category.

I would also tend to believe that your screen is most certainly able to be replaced. I do it all the time. You may have to open it up to get to the exact make/model (most likely Phillips though) - but SOMEONE has a replacement. Check out the big auction site.