Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striper Silly

HISTORY OF MODERN DAY LURE MAKING

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about the evolution of lure making.  Does anyone know when, how and who came up with the modern day lure styles?  How did the popper, darter, buck tail, swimmer, etc evolve and was there a specific person or persons who started it, for specific lures?  Meaning is one person or persons responsible for each individual style or styles.   I'm curious and if anyone else is and could share some information, I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks for reading. 

Interesting question and very complicated answer. I think the big companies like Heddon, Creek Chub, etc should probably be credited with production and distribution of wooden lures. There were companies and builders before them but they brought plugs to many many people. The saltwater side of things I look at Bob Pond (Atom), Stan Gibbs, Musso and many more with paving the way for the modern builders we know. I think Habbs, Beachmaster, Big Don, Gary 2 and Mike fixter are excellent examples of builders who were in the forefront of this modern era of plug building (I'm excluding so many important folks here). Winch is somewhere in this mix as well. Jiggy, Bernzy, Choopy, Gary S, Guppy, BigFish Larry, Don, Larry W - wow. I'm going to stop now and write more - or an article about this sometime. So many really fine people who have inspired me through their work and through their friendship.

Ryan

Quote:

Originally Posted by labrador 1 View Post

Interesting question and very complicated answer. I think the big companies like Heddon, Creek Chub, etc should probably be credited with production and distribution of wooden lures. There were companies and builders before them but they brought plugs to many many people. The saltwater side of things I look at Bob Pond (Atom), Stan Gibbs, Musso and many more with paving the way for the modern builders we know. I think Habbs, Beachmaster, Big Don, Gary 2 and Mike fixter are excellent examples of builders who were in the forefront of this modern era of plug building (I'm excluding so many important folks here). Winch is somewhere in this mix as well. Jiggy, Bernzy, Choopy, Gary S, Guppy, BigFish Larry, Don, Larry W - wow. I'm going to stop now and write more - or an article about this sometime. So many really fine people who have inspired me through their work and through their friendship.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,  Just the right person to shed some light on this subject.  I couldn't have asked for a more competent person to reply.   I thought this might be an interesting question and I as well as plenty of others would love to have you and any other plug makers whom are knowledgeable about the history of them, write something about it on here.  Thanks again for replying and feel free to share more of the history on plug making.

Heddon & Pfleger were the first to make the commercially made lures back in the early 1900's . And I'm guessing not being a plug builder it took off from there.

Kind of like who can make a better mouse trap. Trial & error.

There are some great builders and people have taught and shared there craftsmanship to others. I know for myself being a flytyer I'll look at a pattern and if not try to duplicate it,try to add something new to the fly. I sometimes find my mind wandering when out shopping weather it be a craft store,Home Depot or even a grocery store. I'll be looking for new & better ideas to incorporate into my hobbie.

Fishing has been around a very long,long time. The Chinese were using rods & lines made out of silk back in 2000BC! And things have only got better.

It amazes my sometimes what talant some of these guys are,weather it's painting,finish,design , Action Etc.

great question & looking to hear more.

I

Heddon & Pfleger

Is it me or shouldn't we not being calling these lure brands as Modern??? In the eyes of the world 1980 is vintage. Some say even the Nineties are getting a good patina on them.

I think if we should be talking Modern perhaps plug companies and individuals that fill the market today be considered Modern.

Why? Well if you think about it. There is such a huge difference in plug building today than just 10 years ago.

I think it would be great if SOL or the other lure builders would maybe chronicle their information of how, when and anything else that pertains to their craft.  I think it would be good to have the history behind the modern day builders, (I use that term to the guys who aren't the big giant companies that produce thousands and thousands of lures) that are still building for their craft, sport and after all, they should make some money if it's their business or just to support their fishing.  There are a lot of custom lure builders on this site and I think it would be cool for someone to get their story.  I know their ages are all across the board, but one day, some of the guys who are a little older than the rest won't be around to tell their story and I think it would be great for generations to come to know why certain lures were built the way they were built.  So far there have been some influential guys that have replied and very knowledgeable fishermen.  I hope the thread goes on!