Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

Penn 710Z or 704Z on This 9 Footer?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am planning on building a GSB1201L with a foot cut off the butt. My plan is to mostly fish eels the majority of the time with it. If I wanted to use either a 710Z or a 704Z with this rod- which one of these reels should I go with? If you have experience with this blank built as a 9 footer I would very much like to hear from you.

This is just my opinion, but the length of the rod, or the blank model, should be irrelevant to the reel you choose.

Your question, essentially, boils down to this:

Does the 710 give you enough line capacity for how and when you plan to fish? If yes, use the 710; if no, use the 704. That's really all there is to this.

I personally feel that the 704, and its larger brother the 706, are too big, and too heavy, for use on modern surf rods. With modern superlines (i.e. braid), there just isn't a need to use reels in this size class: the original Spinfishers, remember, were designed for use with mono, and they needed to be so big to be able to fit 300 yards of 20-lb. mono on the spool. Braid allows you to get the same thing with a much smaller reel: just today, for example, I got a new Spinfisher V 5500 spooled with 30 lb. Power Pro., and it comfortably took 320 yards. If you can everything you need from a reel the size of the 710, why would you accept a giant weight penalty by using something 50% bigger, and 50% heavier?

The boat guys, especially the tuna/pelagic guys, have enthusiastically reaped the benefits that superlines make possible. Do you remember the coffee-can-sized Penn Senator that Quint used to fish for the shark in Jaws (I think it was a 9/0)? These days, you're more likely to see that kind of fishing done with small, overbuilt reels: models like Avets and the new Penn Torque Conventionals are the size of your grandfather's flounder reels, but they have ridiculously strong drags, and can catch big fish -- and these new reels were made possible because of the thinness of modern braids.

Being able to use a smaller reel is a big thing: you get a huge weight reduction, and this makes the fishing rod/reel combination much less tiring, and much more enjoyable, to fish. I just don't get why someone would choose to eschew this benefit so that they can look cool on the beach. Use this analogy: lots of people wear Converse All-Stars these days, but do you see anyone actually playing basketball in them?

With that rant out of the way, it's a free country, and many guys still love, and use, their old Spinfishers, and they still work as well as they always have.

The fact that you are using a 1081L for the blank is, in my opinion anyway, not relevant to your reel choice. Get the reel that will be big enough to do what you want it to do, but not any bigger than that. And then make it work with the blank whose attributes are the best match for the kind of fishing you'll be doing with it. This notion of "matching" a rod to a reel, like the old gag about the carpet matching the drapes, is a bunch of malarkey.

I kind of agree with Belmo on this but I used a 704's on everything 9' and up for many years and in fact took my biggest at Block island on an All Star 9' and 704 years ago. I think if it's what you got DO IT!!

Thank you for your replies. I want to clarify my thinking on using 704 vs 710 on this GSB1201L with a foot cut off the butt. The rod will be used to throw eels- targeting large. I am thinking about a 704 because of its winching power compared to a 710- not line capacity. Would your responses still be the same?

if you want to go old school i think the weight of the 710 would be a lot better for a 9 footer...personally i fish those old reels and think i would get something new like mentioned above for a smaller rod..... the 710 should hold enough braid to land large if you don't lose any to knots and stuff.. if you can keep the spool somewhat full.. you could put a 704 handle on the 710 to help out a little with the winching.. then if you find the line recovery of the 710 to still be a little slow you could add a set of faster 712 gears to keep up with top water plugs if you ever decided to toss some in pushing water..