Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseycat9

Remember the people that matter most

17 posts in this topic

In the past 18 months I found out that I was hit with a life threatening health issue. I've been doing a lot of reflecting and thinking about life, and there is a possibility that I may cash out sooner than I ever imagined, if the surgeries coming up aren't successful. I cant even hit the lake nearly as much as I used too due to being sick pretty much 24/7.

Well I moved down here almost 7 years ago because my best friend of 30 years transferred down here from Jersey, and I just needed a change.

For 30 years now this man has helped me time and time again and has done things for me that I cant even depend on most of my close family for. And he has especially helped me since the hammer came down on me last year. Through all of this he has never asked me anything in return and heck I don't think we have ever seriously argued about anything in the six years we have been roommates since I moved. He is truly a one of a kind friend that doesn't come along for a lot of folks. I would never have had an opportunity to live on such a fishing Mecca such as lanier if it wasn't for him. Needless to say I owe him my life in a lot of ways. And I've never really repaid him for much of it.

Lately I've been thinking of a way to truly express my gratitude to him and I think I found a way. I collect Sweden made abu's the rare and the odd and many of them, as they were my grandfathers favorite reels and lord knows he would never spool up any other brand. I bought a rare special edition abu garcia a couple years back and used it as the center piece of my collection. Well I figure I would find the nicest rod to pair it up with and stopped by Oakwood Bait and Tackle today to buy a rod for it that even myself usually wouldn't buy because it was just too dang nice. So I purchased the rod for $200+ and slapped a $400+ reel on it $700 up in smoke lol :shrug:

Well I gave it to him before he left for work today and of course he tried turning it down lol But I told him that I dont care how he uses it but only that he uses it. I told him I want to see dents, dings, scratches and scales all over it :box: Let it ride and throw those dang swimbaits and bombers with reckless abandon.

It boils down to showing appreciation to the ones you care about when you have the chance cause God has not guaranteed us anything in this life and you never know when he will call your number or a loved ones. This is one of the reasons you may not see me going bump in the night on Lanier next winter because I realized I miss my family and they are what matters in life not money, material things, or any of that.

Think he will like it? ;)

I dont really even know what to say. First off, and Im pretty sure I can speak for everyone, is that were all pulling for you here on SOL. I think those dang stripers are even pulling for you even though you wipe them up almost every outing.

Im sure your friend will cherish that rig for ever, and boy with a story like that it sure screams good mojo!!!

If there is anything at all we can help with don't hesitate to let us know :wave: Your definitely in my thoughts

I would have to say that he will definitely like that combo. JC have really enjoyed your reports from Lanier over the years & always looked forward to them. My thoughts & prayers are with you JC keep your head up :)

I dont really even know what to say. First off, and Im pretty sure I can speak for everyone, is that were all pulling for you here on SOL. I think those dang stripers are even pulling for you even though you wipe them up almost every outing.

Im sure your friend will cherish that rig for ever, and boy with a story like that it sure screams good mojo!!!

If there is anything at all we can help with don't hesitate to let us know :wave: Your definitely in my thoughts

I am so sorry to hear this. :( You keep the faith no matter what it is for you !!!!. The sentiment in your post was beautiful. I really don't no what to say and can only wish you the best of luck. I am not a believer but my wife is and she will light a candle for at St. Pats in NY this weekend. We are all pulling for you !!!!

Stay strong cat God don't want you yet , your a good man and i belive your friend is lucky to have you also. I will say a prayer for you and i know we will see many more pic's for a long time .

My thoughts and prayers go out to you cat. Stay in good spirits, you will beat this thing! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings and fishing reports, all of them are top notch.

Thanks for the replies guys! I really do appreciate all the well wishes, it does brighten the spirits to read them. I really only post on stripersonline and a state outdoor forum. 90% in the freshwater forum here on SOL. The few of us that keep this sub forum going, I feel that I know each of you after reading the topics and posts for 7 years. Sorry I don't always reply to all your posts and reports but some days I got it and some days I don't, but don't ever think I don't read them. I try to give back when I can and give the atta boy's when I see the reports.

Your the man jerseycat. I know I don't really personally know you but I can see that you are strong and will pull through anything that comes your way. I hope the very best for you. When you move back up this way maybe I can get you on some hybrids. I know they are not the same but maybe it will help. :D

Not sure what issue you are going through friend,but stay strong and posative,lean on God, and you will get through it! I believe God wants you to recover and live a long life. I was dealt a rare agressive form of cancer 5 years ago. I still go for treatments. They said they were surprised that i lasted 6 months in the beginning of it all.They say with that type of cancer it always eventually comes back. My faith in God says no it will not come back,and i will not lay down in a bed and die! I am not afraid of it anymore,and I am not giving up or surrendering! It is going to lose not me! The world is full of negative things,but we must cling to what is posative and not lose hope! I am not trying to detract anything from what you are going through here,and make it about me. I am sharing some hope with you. Never give up!

Youre a good guy Jersey, good karma will come your way. I truly believe that. When you treat other people especially loved ones the way you treat your friend and vica versa only good things will come your way. Stay strong and be positive and lots of luck to you in dealing with your illness. I will be sure to say a prayer for you.