Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barrell

Hobie Lovers

17 posts in this topic

Many of you guys love your Hobie kayaks but when it comes time for sunglasses you neglect to take a look at what Hobie offers. Every year I look at every brand of sunglasses on the market. I question their lense construction, warranty, frames, and prices. Yet every year I come to the conclusion that Hobie sunglasses are superior to everything else out there. The lenses are made in Germany by Carl Zeiss yet the retail price is 30 to 40 percent lower then others that use a Zeiss lense including Costa. When it comes time to replace probably the most important piece of fishing equipment in your arsenal , your sunglasses, give the Hobies a close look before paying $50 more for something inferior. I don't think Ive ever seen a discussion here about sunglasses so I figured Id start one.

I have 3 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses bought over the years. I keep one pair in my car for driving, one in my wife's car, and one pair for fishing. MJ's repair services are very reasonable considering the new price of glasses. Even if they are 10 years old, I'd contact them and see what they'll do for you. You only need the frame number and they'll quote you what it will cost for new lenses. I've had new lenses put in one pair and even replaced the frame with existing lenses in another pair. It's always been worth it vs. buying new. Their customer service is stellar and I love their sunglasses.

Good to know. I too had a pair of MJ that I loved, the girl that sold them to me bent them to fit my face perfectly. The problem I have with sunglasses is I either brake them or lose them way before they wear out. The MJ met the same fate unfortunately. I will be needing a new pair soon.

Just picked up a pair of Costa's. Ive looked at the Hobies but didn't like the frame size/style as much as the fantails I picked up. I also looked at the MJ's but the Costa's "cling" to your face better, or at least felt that way. I'm also a little upset with MJ after finding the lenses on the pair I purchased for my wife less than 3 months ago ($300+) are pitting after a trip down to the Keys last week. I'm going to be giving them a ring this week :mad:

1 problem i have with sunglasses is comfort.  after wearing them for up to 8+hrs that little tip at the end of the arm can really piss you off!  costas by far were the most comfortable pair ive ever worn.  that being said at the moment im wearing smith optics.  lifetime warranty.  they make a fishing line designed for fishermen.  im going to take a look at the hobies since i could use a new pair 

Yes they do make prescription. I sell both Smith, Suncloud and Costa so Im not comparing Hobie to something I would have a reason to dis. Fit is important, probably most important. It helps to try on a lot of pairs and look for a frame that is big enough you cant see the frame, only lense and that you cant fit more then one finger between the frame and your face. Even better if you cant fit a finger anywhere. If you have large gaps where sun can get into your eye around the edge off the frame your eyes are not protected.

Glass lenses are the best. There is nothing clearer and more scratch resistant then a glass lense. Polycarbonate is the best plastic lense material. It will not shatter and is the hardest plastic to scratch. Avoid mirrored lenses in plastic. In plastic the mirror is on the surface and is fragile. In a glass lense the mirror is sandwiched between to layers of glass so its protected from being scratched.

It is critical that the arms catch the back of your ears just right. Too short and too long are a problem. If you have ever had a problem with the wheight of the glasses on your nose its because the wheight should be carried by the back of your ears. You can adjust a wired frame by simply bending the hooks down so they grab your ears tighter. If your plastic frames don't have wire inside so this is possible then put the temples in a cup of boiled water for a minute and then make the adjustment.

Big dudes for some stupid reason always want to buy tiny little glasses that fit horribly. Don't buy glasses that you like the style on, get glasses that fit your face.

Costa makes a great kit I keep in my car all the time.Its a defogger and a high end cleaning cloth in a neoprene case. I don't have that problem and I personaly have over 10 pair of glass lenses. Nothing fits tighter then a dive mask with a glass lense yet if you treat with a defogger the mask wont fog.

I wish this sunglass thing were easy and affordable... I wear trifocals.. for me glasses start at $500 due to my perscription,, add verilux lens,,scratch resistance and anti-glare on that list plus frame and $500 is the start point.

I'd be happy with quality clip on.

Glasses are one item that I wish cost significantly less I'd have several pairs......

add Kokatat dry suits to things I wish were a little more within reach.. yeah right.

I wish this sunglass thing were easy and affordable... I wear trifocals.. for me glasses start at $500 due to my perscription,, add verilux lens,,scratch resistance and anti-glare on that list plus frame and $500 is the start point.

I'd be happy with quality clip on.

Glasses are one item that I wish cost significantly less I'd have several pairs......

add Kokatat dry suits to things I wish were a little more within reach.. yeah right.

I share your frustration.

Cabo

just ordered the hobie cabos.  does anyone recommend a sunglass keeper/retainer that fits those style glasses?

EK Catstraps or Cablz. They are the only two I will sell.