Any Boca Grande 26 owners out there?

Rate this topic

My next door neighbor had one for about 20 years.

I fished on the boat probably 30 or more times.

I didn't like the boat much at all.

Wet,slow,burned a lot of fuel(454 crusader).

Pretty boat and great for taking a pretty girl for a cruise but in a sea you got soaked.

Dolphin fishing in calm water was fine.

Some guys like blondes,I like brunets . To each his own.

• 4 months later...

Hello-        I have a 1973 Boca Grande Passmaster 26' CC.       I'm in Monterey, ca      and have not seen or heard of any other boca g's on the west coast.. Soooo happy that I came across this boat back in 2004.     A true fishing machine!!!!!      I noticed the decal that was put on another post and it said "Sarasota, FL"   ?        My placard says Clearwater,Florida            Anyway,  its powered by a mercruiser 888 which is a ford 302 w/ alpha one outdrive.   I added a T-top from Atlantic Towers which I am very pleased with. I have taken this boat out in very rough seas , offshore, on the beach it doesn't matter she takes it like a champ.       "KNOTHAPPY"   will see my last days I bet, but I guess "everything" is for sale if the price is right?

post-73191-0-69692700-1481526463.jpg

post-73191-0-13226800-1481526540.jpg

post-73191-0-75198100-1481526574.jpg

post-73191-0-15316500-1481526641.jpg

post-73191-0-84219500-1481526659.jpg

• 1 year later...

Knothappy,

I have a 1974 Boca Grande Passmaster 26 who 2 previous owners have posted in this thread I believe. Our boats look very similar except yours is inboard. I'd kill to take a ride in that boat..... 

Anyways, 2.5 years of owning this boat I love it. It's time for a full rebuild and repower but this boat out-rides any 26 foot boat in its class. 

I called Charley Morgan in 2016 who originally built this boat in 1974. He said 250 were made. The company was originally him and Brice Bidwell in Clearwater, FL. He also made the 10' beam 26. The company was sold off some years later....

FB_IMG_1510517762347.jpg

Edited by Lawtonfl

Looking for more info on the Boca Grande 26.  Online it said Mr. Topjun sold the Boca Grande business in the late 1990s. Dose anyone know who ended up with the molds or if they are produce them under another name. I have a Morgan 24 now with 250 Yamaha.

B.G 26 would make a nice cruising craft for my lazy days. 

Edited by Morgan24
none

On 4/6/2013 at 1:27 PM, greeneflash said:
On 12/12/2016 at 2:14 AM, knothappy said:

Hello-        I have a 1973 Boca Grande Passmaster 26' CC.       I'm in Monterey, ca      and have not seen or heard of any other boca g's on the west coast.. Soooo happy that I came across this boat back in 2004.     A true fishing machine!!!!!      I noticed the decal that was put on another post and it said "Sarasota, FL"   ?        My placard says Clearwater,Florida            Anyway,  its powered by a mercruiser 888 which is a ford 302 w/ alpha one outdrive.   I added a T-top from Atlantic Towers which I am very pleased with. I have taken this boat out in very rough seas , offshore, on the beach it doesn't matter she takes it like a champ.       "KNOTHAPPY"   will see my last days I bet, but I guess "everything" is for sale if the price is right?

post-73191-0-69692700-1481526463.jpg

post-73191-0-13226800-1481526540.jpg

post-73191-0-75198100-1481526574.jpg

post-73191-0-15316500-1481526641.jpg

post-73191-0-84219500-1481526659.jpg

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Knothappy, (I have a 1974 Boca Grande Passmaster 26 )

That design is his new design after leaving  Morgan Yacht. co.  When I look at that boat it looks like a copy of my 25' Mako. ?   It may be a different ride , then the older sign.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, Morgan24 said:

Looking for more info on the Boca Grande 26.  Online it said Mr. Topjun sold the Boca Grande business in the late 1990s. Dose anyone know who ended up with the molds or if they are produce them under another name. I have a Morgan 24 now with 250 Yamaha.

B.G 26 would make a nice cruising craft for my lazy days. 

Gause Built Boats ended up with the molds and are still being used.   That's the info that I found anyway.   Looks like the same one to me.   Check it out.........google    Gause built boat 26'            I have had my B.G. for 15 years and fished in all types of weather and I love it.   Time to restore pretty much everything but after 45 years the hull is solid.   I would sell to someone who would restore her and fish her for another 15 years though.   The boat deserves to be fished hard.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

seen this post and just wanted to say I found one last year. It is currently getting crabwells installed forward and a hidden profish 1000 under the bow. Got a long way to go. I am in Indian Rocks Beach, FL. Found the Hull inland north of Brandon.

It is hull #38. Came with twin evinrude 115's. I actually tested it with the 73 rudes. Built just prior to Charlie building them under the Boca Grande name. This one was built under boat contractors name. I located charlies business license under the state of florida to verify everything. I am not sure if this hull was at the Miami boat show back then but it is around that timeframe.

$$$$ and everyone is always so busy. just takes time.

look forward to getting her done.

WELL IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!  I have owned this boat for over a year I believe it to be a 1974 Boca Grande Passmaster and to me it looks similar to the green boat posted earlier in the post. The person I bought it from thought is was a Morgan because that's what the title states, but after further research I was able to figure out the truth behind the hull, no pun intended.  I can tell you that the previous owner twice before me was a commercial diver and built a large under deck fish box all the way forward, that created a step up in the front.  The person I bought it from decided the use the fish box to put a 35 gallon fuel tank rendering it useless.  SOOOO I removed that along with the rest of the deck only had two soft spots but I removed the deck to check the stringer as well as add two new 40 gallon fuel tanks.  The stringers were in great shape for being made of plywood, obviously they were not the originals and were done by a professional/ someone who knows glass well.  I am keeping the plywood stringers.  I am currently doing the project now and I can add some before and after pictures.  I have already removed the step up and added a 6 foot fish box along with a 100 gallon Live well under the deck.  The fuel tanks are already custom made and will be going in the aft on the port and starboard sides.  The Motor is a somewhat well maintained Volvo Penta tamd41a Inboard , I am currently cleaning it up to go back in the boat.  As you can see from the picture/ based on where the console sits the motor sits pretty far aft and I decided to keep it that way since it would be rather costly to change the running gear, and also to help keep weight even keel with the large fish box and live well forward.  I have fished and used the boat about 20 or more times before taking on this project and I can say overall the boat rides solid.  It is a very well built boat, and it is a constant head turner as no one can tell what the hell it is but that's somewhat of the best part.  It is a wet boat and will be getting spray rails & glass, however it cuts and rides like a knife in 3 foot or less of sloppy chop. Any questions or comments can also call me at (954) 695-6393 

boca grande 1.png

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 4:10 AM, knothappy said:

Gause Built Boats ended up with the molds and are still being used.   That's the info that I found anyway.   Looks like the same one to me.   Check it out.........google    Gause built boat 26'            I have had my B.G. for 15 years and fished in all types of weather and I love it.   Time to restore pretty much everything but after 45 years the hull is solid.   I would sell to someone who would restore her and fish her for another 15 years though.   The boat deserves to be fished hard.

Knothappy,

I worked at Gause Built Boats for a little over a year. Gause built supposedly hand crafted their own plugs and created their own unique hull. The lines are very different when parked next to each other. The Gause built looks a awful lot like a stretched Aquasport 246 in my opinion ;)

Edited by Lawtonfl

On 8/21/2019 at 3:20 PM, amm986 said:

WELL IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!  I have owned this boat for over a year I believe it to be a 1974 Boca Grande Passmaster and to me it looks similar to the green boat posted earlier in the post. The person I bought it from thought is was a Morgan because that's what the title states, but after further research I was able to figure out the truth behind the hull, no pun intended.  I can tell you that the previous owner twice before me was a commercial diver and built a large under deck fish box all the way forward, that created a step up in the front.  The person I bought it from decided the use the fish box to put a 35 gallon fuel tank rendering it useless.  SOOOO I removed that along with the rest of the deck only had two soft spots but I removed the deck to check the stringer as well as add two new 40 gallon fuel tanks.  The stringers were in great shape for being made of plywood, obviously they were not the originals and were done by a professional/ someone who knows glass well.  I am keeping the plywood stringers.  I am currently doing the project now and I can add some before and after pictures.  I have already removed the step up and added a 6 foot fish box along with a 100 gallon Live well under the deck.  The fuel tanks are already custom made and will be going in the aft on the port and starboard sides.  The Motor is a somewhat well maintained Volvo Penta tamd41a Inboard , I am currently cleaning it up to go back in the boat.  As you can see from the picture/ based on where the console sits the motor sits pretty far aft and I decided to keep it that way since it would be rather costly to change the running gear, and also to help keep weight even keel with the large fish box and live well forward.  I have fished and used the boat about 20 or more times before taking on this project and I can say overall the boat rides solid.  It is a very well built boat, and it is a constant head turner as no one can tell what the hell it is but that's somewhat of the best part.  It is a wet boat and will be getting spray rails & glass, however it cuts and rides like a knife in 3 foot or less of sloppy chop. Any questions or comments can also call me at (954) 695-6393 

boca grande 1.png

look at the entry?    Very different from the Gause Built Boats    I would like to see a picture of the stern.  

Does the stern look like Stonewall's?

Edited by ccb

• 11 months later...

First Post for me on here and I know it's an old thread but I figured it's appropriate since I'm now the owner of hull #59 and the 26 Express Boca Grande owned here prior by Slipaway.  Ironically I met the gentleman who owns the other Express Boca Grande that was stretched to 28' when he was changing out a bearing on his trailer with his Boca Grande on it by my house just south of Chesapeake, VA a couple of months ago.

I was born and raised in Sarasota, FL and in the early 90's when I was 14 my Father bought a 1989 Boca Grande Cuddy with a Cummins 6BT and a tuna tower on it.  I grew up boating and after a couple of trips on it my Dad gave me a 15 mile offshore limit for fishing with my older Brother or friends since I had been taking his 22 Shamrock out by myself since I was 12 years old.  In the 5 years my Father owned it we put about 2500 hours on it fishing all over Florida.  The only reason he sold it was to move up to a 31 Bertram to get further offshore.   I saw the builder Randy Topjun many times because my Father knew him and after my Dad bought his Boca Grande he had a slip next to Randy at the Yacht Club he was a member with.  

I always loved that Boca Grande and I've been wanting to get one and the Express Model came up for sale and it was in great shape.  It was repowered last year with a 502 Crusader and had only 80 hours on it when I bought it a couple of days ago.  I purchased it in Sarasota and will be towing it up to where I live in NC just south of Chesapeake, VA.  I plan to use it fishing off Oregon Inlet and cruising around the Chesapeake area.   I will be changing the name of it to Exodus since that's been the name of every boat I've had since I was a teenager.  

I'll be setting up my trailer soon, does any Boca Grande owners have any suggestions for setting up a trailer?  I'll be using a 18k loadmaster triple axle that I am buying from my Brother that had a 30 Grady Marlin on it.  I know it's over kill but I'm getting a good deal with the family discount and it is a good trailer.   

I've included two pictures from a couple of days ago on the day I bought it.  Made my day that I was able to take my Parents out on it for it's initial cruise to Big Pass.  It also made my Dad's day that I had bought a Boca Grande, which was the same boat we have shared many great memories on.  

IMG_8433.JPG

IMG_8437.JPG