Any Boca Grande 26 owners out there?

Rate this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum - some beautiful boats on here. I was wondering if any of you Boca Grande owners have found blisters on the bottom? Is this a major problem on a cored hull? Also have any of you replaced the fuel tanks yet? Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 26 boca grande express which I was told was one of only 2 ever made. It was built in 1996 by a guy who bought the mold from the original company that went out of business. I was told he took one boat to the Annapolis boat show and the rig was totaled on I95 and his wife died in the accident. Supposedly, the other one (mine) is the only one left built as an express. Has cabin and windshield and a half tower, powered with a 454 Crusader. I bought it used (although it was never titled) from a broker in Urbanna VA on the Rappahannock. it only had 130 hours on it. I keep it at my house off the Corrotoman which is also off the Rappahannock.

I've had it since 1998 and love the boat, but it has had issues over the years I can relay if you are interested. Like, the exhaust system is poorly designed so that if you stop the boat dead from 20 k water will back up into the risers. Expensive repair (bent valves, head job etc) If I can figure out how I'll attach a pic. This is the most classic boat of its type out there in my view with perhaps the exception of the original Seacraft 23.

Hi there. My mother-in-law was the woman who died in the tragic accident. You are somewhat correct. Randy Topjun, the owner of Boca Grande Boats, was the original owner and built a total of 50 boats. After Bonnie died, Rabdy finished your boat and his (now mine). You may have hull 49. I now am in the process of restoring/reworking hull 50. The company did not go under. After the accident, Randy could not emotionally continue to built the beautiful boats. I was office manager of the plant at the time of the tragedy. He had a long recovery from burns, etc. he finished the last two boats in production and closed the doors. It makes my heart happy that these gorgeous boats are so admired. Mine is a cuddy.

Hi there. My mother-in-law was the woman who died in the tragic accident. You are somewhat correct. Randy Topjun, the owner of Boca Grande Boats, was the original owner and built a total of 50 boats. After Bonnie died, Rabdy finished your boat and his (now mine). You may have hull 49. I now am in the process of restoring/reworking hull 50. The company did not go under. After the accident, Randy could not emotionally continue to built the beautiful boats. I was office manager of the plant at the time of the tragedy. He had a long recovery from burns, etc. he finished the last two boats in production and closed the doors. It makes my heart happy that these gorgeous boats are so admired. Mine is a cuddy.

If you can...tell me about the 26 cuddy that was supposedly factory stretched to a 28 (2' added in the middle).

I saw this boat and made an offer after it had been in an insurance claim (a tree fell on it)

This was years ago and someone else bought it.

Last I saw he'd done all the FG work and was trying to sell it.

powerless

• 1 month later...

I have a Boca Grande 26' with a Tuna Tower and a cuddy cabin.  It was my dad's and he used it down in Sarasota.  When he got sick, the boat languished in the mangroves for several years until I bought it from him and had it shipped to Maine in 2007.  The boat was in terrible shape and it has taken us years to restore her.  First came the water in the gas tanks, which was a problem for several years and we almost replaced them, but repowering the boat seemed to take care of that.  This year, we replaced the teak and awlgripped the hull.  She is gorgeous and we get so many comments about her classic lines.  My dad was a sailor all his life and he used to say that this was a sailor's power boat.  Her beamy-ness is perfect for the waters of Penobscot Bay and we use her a lot.  She doesn't have as much brightwork as many of the Boca's do, but we love how she plies the waters here.  

I haven't taken new photos of the repainted and re teaked boat, but here she is from 2008: