greeneflash

Any Boca Grande 26 owners out there?

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

Jmarkuson, can I ask, why you chose diesel repower?  reliability? long range runs?  fuel cost?  did the 454 give out or did you just want an upgrade?  Did you have to replace the fuel tanks too?  Are you pleased with the results?  Would you do it again?  I'm sure that the diesel repower was quite a bit more expensive than gas so something must have driven the decision, perhaps long offshore runs?  Can I ask who did the repower for you?  I have a half tower as you can see from the pic above, but I didn't want to raise the center of gravity.  The express with windshield is really nice in bad weather, especially winter rock fishing.

Anyone:  what are your hulls made of?  My survey said frp bottom and cored topsides.  Turns out in replacing a transducer, that the hull is completely cored with something like divinicel.  I'm not real happy with that.  the glass itself on either side is only about 1/8 with about 3/8 core.  So, if I ever get blisters I have a problem.  not enough glass to grind out.

greene: Stonewall is a great looking boat. I don't have a brightwork stern. The location of the pipes is certainly a factor but not the only one.  my pipes are lower but they are also bigger.  All of the original 80s center consoles had smaller pipes.  But the larger issue, in my opinion is the slope from bilge to engine risers.  A "gradual" slope like mine is more problematic than a sharp rise to the back of the riser.  Not a huge deal.  I just don't back the boat down quickly.  I come off a plan slowly.

thanks

slip

Hello friends! New to your forum, I have been reading this entire post on the BG's what great looking boats and the info on them seem amazing! I'm in California and have yet to come across one on the west coast, I sure would like to the first!! Stonewall is a beauty!!

I have a 88 boca grande that  i repowered with  a 240 hp yanmar diesel have tuna tower and use for offshore fishing

Where do you keep her? I would love to see a picture. Not too many out there with a tuna tower.

Just thought I would post this for anyone looking for more info on these great boats.  The original hull were wood built buy George Luzier here in Sarasota, FL.  There are a hand full of them around but are fairly sought after locally.  I am not sure whether it was through any agreement or not but a mold was made of a 26 Luzier and the Boca Grande 26 was born, which is what I believe the hulls in this thread are.

Been away from the post for a while.  Finally getting around to posting some pictures.  We bought Papa Grande and renamed her Stout a few years ago.  Stout essentially describes how these boats were built and handle.  We keep her in Tampa and use her for pretty much everything...cocktail cruises, light fishing, race committee, hitting the beach.  The ride can be wet, especially in a beam sea with some wind, but we love the boat.  She turns heads everywhere we go.   

Eric,

Looking great! Each BG certainly has her own personality. I have swim platform envy, and I bet that full size bimini comes in handy in Florida. We use Stonewall for basically the same purposes. In fact, I was out fishing yesterday evening. Got skunked, but it was nice to be out.

Here is a fairly recent shot in Annapolis harbor. 1764440

I remember seeing Stonewall when she was for sale.  Another great looking boat. Must be fun there in Ego Alley.  I used to live a block away from there.  It looks like you varnish your teak also.  If you look close in the picture above you can see a lot of blue tape for the spring coat.  I had canvas made to cover to gunwales and the transom to make it last longer.  The Bimini is a must down here - and the dodger.  Our kids favorite spot is up on the v berth with the dodger front open.  We have a removable platform between the v-berths with cushions that they can sit on looking forward. 

I do varnish. Loss of work, but looks great at the end. I try to hit sections each year. Two winters ago I did the drawers and console, this winter I stripped everything aft of midships down to teak and put Bristol Finish on, in the hope that it will last longer. The verdict is still out.

Yours is looking great! Especially the transom. Did you varnish right over the lettering? I haven't gotten there yet.

Would love to know if anybody has the original template for the logo. Just boat a 1974 26' ft Boca Grande. Love this boat. She is currently having the cuddy removed and refit. Beautiful solid boat. 1000