Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firedawg

Big Mako from Shore!!!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

My budy Will and I have been talking about trying a beach that we drive by once in a while that has deep water, and quite a bit of boat traffic. I have fished this beach once before with good results. Will is the young man who just caught a 10' Mako a few weeks ago.We worked our butt's off gathering big baits for this trip, because our goal was to land a 10'+ shark. We had to haul quite a bit of gear to get to the spot we wanted to fish, and it wasn't close to where we parked either! We got dumped on the yak in that cold water more times than either of us would like to remember. It was cold, windy, wet, but we stuck it out for 4 days. We had our rods in the water 24-7 and fished hard! In the first two days Will caught a 7ft ish Bull that spit the hook at the shore, and I caught a 7ft ish Sandbar. We didn't take pictures of the SB because we decided early in the trip we wouldn't waste time on pics on anything under 8'. The third day we woke up to flat seas, clear water, decent weather, and not much action all day. Right before dark I was reeling in my surf rod, and saw what I thought was a Mako jump way out there. Will thought I was seeing things, but i know I saw a shark jump. At about 1am Will's 14/0 Everol (the one he just caught a 10' Mako on) starts going out, and we are hooked up to a big fish. During the fight I had to sit on the ground behind Will and hold his harness because this shark was pulling 40lbs of drag. After about a 45 min fight we see the sharks fin, but still can't tell what it was. As I'm coming down the beach to tail rope it, I grab the trace and scream Mako. Right about that time the shark goes crazy, thrashing her head, and spits the hook. Will spikes his rod and comes down to help, and somehow we get the tailrope on. What an awesome sight that cobalt blue body, huge eye staring you down, and those teeth. It was the most beautiful shark I have ever seen. After picture and measurement time we attempted the release. She was 10'8" with a 60" girth, and it took everything we had to get her back to deep water. She swam away fine after only a few minutes of holding her face into the waves. As we were packing up in the morning Will's other rod gets hit, and he brings in a 7'3" Tiger, which would be the last shark of the trip. It was an awesome trip, and one I will never forget! When we were planning this trip, our one goal was target and land a 10'+ shark. Man, I love it when a plan comes together!!!

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1565110/]

[img=

I had to get in on some of this Mako madness too!

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1565112/]

Firedawg, Thank you for keeping us updated on goings-on in FLA. How big a possibility is getting pulled off the beach by the shark if your reel seizes up or something? Is your rod tied into your fighting belt?

You can get pulled in if you dont watch your drag pressure, that's why you need a buddy to hold your harness when you have a big one on. Your reel is hooked to your harness with two metal clips and your rod butt is in the butt plate just like stand up fishing on a boat. It is a RUSH when you get a monster on!

You can get pulled in if you dont watch your drag pressure, that's why you need a buddy to hold your harness when you have a big one on. Your reel is hooked to your harness with two metal clips and your rod butt is in the butt plate just like stand up fishing on a boat. It is a RUSH when you get a monster on!

what would you do if did end up getting towed?

This is same idea with windsurfing. Great feeling hanging off the sail and zipping over the water.

If fishing from the yak it would of been like a small outboard engine! Makos can really move infact they have been known to jump out of the water! The Everol is a collector item and hold what about 850 yrds of 130 lb Dacron?

His 14/0 Everol is new and has about the same line cap as a 16/0 senator. I just got back from 2 days and nights on the beach and we hooked and lost a big Mako twice!!!