Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hqjig

sea bass

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Geez.....

3 fish is hardly worth the effort and expense of starting up your boat. Looks like the ol DMF has given us yet another reason to not leave the house. :(

no public hearing on this,

That's a surprise? in Mass?

Wasn't last year a banner year for seabass? Or, is that the prob.

Bought a kayak a few weeks ago....it's still at a buddy's house, lol, now the snow is melting on the north side of the house, I can get at my basement bulkhead, move it in and begin adding things to it.

One of the reasons I was so excited was the thought of checking out new territory south of Boston, with black seabass heavily in mind :(

thats crazy stuff, my fishing friend was getting his commercial rod and reel quota in under a 1/2 hour last year.

he won't be getting it this year

I've read around and have been trying to keep up with threads on the '13 limits - but can someone give me a quick clarification of who falls into what bucket, as far as commercial vs. recreational?  When buddies and I go out on a boat or on shore, that's recreational, and for those looking to haul in a big catch to sell to industry, I figure that's commercial...but what about charter boats, party boats, etc. - those are considered recreational as well?

Sorry, just trying to better understand the overall debate and how/why catch limits are imposed on different groups.  I don't mind catching less if it means a more sustainable fish population but I'm also trying to understand who (legally or not) actually makes the larger impact on fish population...

I agree, 3 bass would more than fill my shrunken belly....But, 120 miles or so one way, wouldn't mind filleting a couple of bellyfuls per trip.

3 big sea bass a day will keep my belly full but I do feel bad for the commercial guys.

I dont see why u should feel bad for the commercial guys.:confused: Bigger bag limit. Im happy they changed it.:D. Way less people chasing them. And now not every hack can catch them. ;) . To bad so sad. :p

The bag limited for recreational is yet to be announced and every one can speculate on what they may be . Until the DMF releases those numbers, I would not put any stock into any rumors

Knowing how they work at times it would seem if they do reduce it from 20 fish , it may go down to 10 or even stay the same. That number has not been determind for publication as of yet

I cannot see any reasonable grounds for dropping the limit to 3 fish. There are plenty of sea bass around and protecting spawning fish should help keep them around. Dropping the limit to 10 should provide plenty of dinners per trip, now and for the future.

Sam

Oh, now see I fell for it too. :dismay:

I thought the 3 fish limit was fait accompli. I didn't know it's yet to be decided. In other words, all this talk is speculation.