Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gregorjim

SYNTHETIC HAIR for tying?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I've been using a lot of craft store stuff & Xmas tinsel for years, due to high cost of materials..A few years back ,a friend informed me about synthetic hair sold at Beaty Supply houses+..Theres a few in San Francisco..near Fillmore St that sell this product...Its called Kankalon or Ibelieve Rasti ?Sells for about $3 for a large braid that is 4 feet & braided to 24 "Also comes in unbelieveable colors...I found it on line at the site below Read the product info as it comes in straight & a crinkle thats similiar to buctail...Top color of course is ( Pure White) which is the brightest They have a Olive color in Custom Braids for $8, while all rest is $2,70- $3 each...I usually buy colors of many shades & its more than enough for 2-3 tiers...Heres the site & color charts....Jim

http://www.ikickshins.net/colorchart/JKK.php

I use synthetic hair for big redfish fly and for big striper flys. It takes a marker, can't kill the stuff so bluefish can chomp on it but it is a little tricky to work with. Here is one hanging out of the mouth of a good size red. You can buy it at a beauty supply store for 2.00 a pack.....a pack should build over 100 fly easy!

SOL'er Fisheye recently passed on to me several hanks of Kankalon in a variety of colors to experiment with. It certainly is handy and I can see myself substituting it for nearly all of my slinky/ kinky fiber tying needs. Presently I am using it as a tail material for Gurgler style flies.

Fisheye suggested I try it for the Kinky Muddler but I've yet to delve into that one. Soon enough. I know discussion on the merits of this material has come up quite a bit here on the fly tying forum so I'll not recant those points. Only to add that it will likely be a staple in my tying box for the price. Hard part is what to do with all the extra! Especially since it comes in such long hanks.

All the best,

Kevin

SOL'er Fisheye recently passed on to me several hanks of Kankalon in a variety of colors to experiment with. It certainly is handy and I can see myself substituting it for nearly all of my slinky/ kinky fiber tying needs. Presently I am using it as a tail material for Gurgler style flies.

Fisheye suggested I try it for the Kinky Muddler but I've yet to delve into that one. Soon enough. I know discussion on the merits of this material has come up quite a bit here on the fly tying forum so I'll not recant those points. Only to add that it will likely be a staple in my tying box for the price. Hard part is what to do with all the extra! Especially since it comes in such long hanks.

All the best,

Kevin

The fly in the red's mouth is "Kinky Muddler" style using the Kankalon material. It is slick, takes a good hard turn and I like to make sure there is a drop of CA between each step. I mix in SF Blend to give sparkle but sparsely it saves on the cost of the SF Blend. I sent eight or nine colors to a friend in Cape Cod and he uses it because it is LONG. I like it, don't use a lot of it but for bluefish flys it is tough, big bunker flys and of course the redfish. Most of the time it fur, hair, feathers.........the usual suspects. To me it's another arrow in the quiver for a fly tyer, check out Kanekalon Jumbo Braid it comes in chartreuse and 38 other colors. They also make a synthetic grizzly braid very long worth a look at, you can find it by searching doctored locks they got lots of stuff. M. saxatilis if I may Kevin.....always look forward to your flys and comments on this forum. I'd like to see the Gurgler with the hairy tail. :D I just give my extra away because even half will last five years I'll bet.

Salty....We cut it into use able pieces & fasten them with plastic ties. I usually share it with fellow tyiers .. Iv'e sent it to some tyiers on forums to show material..You pay under $3 a pack for something that would cost around $30 in a fly shop. Its really a large package of hair... also takes marking pens great Jim

Yes, I forgot the markers, they add a lot to the look of the fly at times. The colors are good though I wish they made a white, there is a light grey that I use but the SF Blend white is a good addition. I'm hoping to get back to the vise been so sick lately.

I can see where this material would be good, gonna have to get some myself.

What I wanna see  is the chick that's wearing the braid/weave w/ grizzly barring!!!

Quote:

What I wanna see  is the chick that's wearing the braid/weave w/ grizzly barring!!!

Cant look any more ridiculous then those hackle feathers everyone was wearing for all of about 6 months.  I may have to get ahold of some of this stuff too.  I love the SF blend, but its wayyyyy too expensive

Cant look any more ridiculous then those hackle feathers everyone was wearing for all of about 6 months.  I may have to get ahold of some of this stuff too.  I love the SF blend, but its wayyyyy too expensive

Met the actress Tia Leone in Ramsey's Outdoor Store and she had feathers and Flashabou in her hair. I told her thanks for price increase on the feathers! Buy the SF Blend and use very little mixed in with the Kankalon and you'll stretch it for a long long time. Thank goodness that fad has passed us by now....

Quote:

Met the actress Tia Leone in Ramsey's Outdoor Store and she had feathers and Flashabou in her hair.

Isnt she like 50?  I'd expect that kind of thing out of a 16 year old girl.  So glad that fad died.  I mean, I'm glad some fly shops got a little extra scratch from it, but still. 

Salty...The site I was trying to send"I Kick shins.net" has quite a few color charts, depending on type material..Check all the braiding sections & you'll find PURE WHITE...*ts the brightest of all,& there are many whites..On the custom color chart, theres a Olive ,& its pretty good...These are heat proof & cost $8..But being 4 feet long, you can split it up with a tying friend...And its still a large braid..Most are $2.70 for the reg braids..I really like it as a bucktail substitute( especially the crinkle type braid>..Jim

Have been tying with this stuff for a few years now. Durable, yes, IF you remember to attach each bunch( tapered at both ends) in its middle, and fold it over & tie down --- because it's incompressible --- and don't forget the cement @ each step.

Mono thread is a no-no with this stuff -- far too slippery -- stick with flat waxed nylon.

Flash blending with EP sparkle ( consistently longer than Angel Hair ) or ,for less subtlety, Skok's Mega Mushy, is pretty straightforward.

Intrinsic action is pretty poor( stiffer ). Also larger dia. than slinky fibre

Can't hold a candle to the taper & action of natural materials, but the price is certainly right , and the sky's the limit on length !

PS: while you're on that website, don't forget to check out the "Cyberlox" /crin tubing in the "mini" 1/2" dia. size --- while it will not taper/hold shape like EZ body, it's cheap and fine for untapered tube bodies or 'reversed' heads like Gartside "fish-heads" or Trey Combs' "sea habit" bucktails. The large 3/4" size can be used for squid mantles/heads, coverings for spoon-flies, etc. For the price, it's economical to experiment.