Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sidewinder

Penn re releasing the 704/706z

Rate this topic

110 posts in this topic

Penn has posted on there face book page today that they are releasing the original 704z bailed and 706z Bailless reels...they said they will be exactly like the last Z seres built and will cost about $200 each. They did not give a release date but its said to be before next year .....

Personally I wish they would have put and ainti reverse and some extra seals.

But I'm glad to see them coming back.

What are your thoughts

It's a classic, some love them to death and some don't, if what i hear is correct, meaning it's going to be made in the USA and be an exact dup ( including the quality of the internals) then bravo to Penn.

The 3.8:1 gear ratio is a downer for me but probably not for many plugger's .

One thing that has bothered me a bit in the last few years is the premature fading of the gold spools on some of Penn's more recent production models like the now discontinued Slammer reels . My older 6500 SS still looks great and i fished that forever , the Slammer spools faded quickly and i bought mine when it was still being made in the U.S.:(:(

Penn 704Z and 706Z - Both are great reels that I have never stopped using over the last 30 years. I have not had a reason to. Penn's news that they will put them back in production is very welcome. If you have somehow managed never to have fished either of these reels - you are missing a great experience,

I never did like the higher gear ratios of most newer reels. For the surf guy, I believe in lower gear ratios for surf fishing use. These are what i used, years back, for a spinner.  Good move Penn!

Why do so many people enjoy using this reel? I watched a video on YouTube -->

<-- and I picked up that it's easy to service and has a lower gear ratio. Other than what, what's so great about it?

On the beach when your rod falls over just hold it under the surf and turn the Handel. Cleans the sand out of the rotor area. One bearing,,the rest are bushings. Justa keep on fishen