Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jetty Jumper

Beretta Leaves Maryland Because of Stricter Gun Laws

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Interesting,I bet a few states will welcome the company,apparently Maryland will not miss the taxes,or the jobs.

New legislation is forcing gun manufacturing company Beretta to uproot and take their business elsewhere.

Established in 1526, Beretta holds the distinction of being the oldest active firearms manufacturer in the world. The U.S. factory is located in Accokeek,

Maryland, and has been a staple of the local economy for years.

Beretta warned that stricter gun control laws would push the company outside of state lines, but that didn’t stop Maryland legislators. Jeffrey Reh, a spokesman for Beretta who also serves as the President of Stoeger Industries under Beretta, announced that the company would begrudgingly uproot and take its business elsewhere. He said, “We don’t want to do this, we’re not willing to do this, but obviously this legislation has caused us a serious level of concern within our company.”

He added that Beretta paid approximately $31 million in taxes, employs 400 people, and had invested $73 million in the business over the past several decades. Despite being such a prominent player in the local economy, Beretta was unable to prevent legislators from passing tighter gun control laws. Ironically, Beretta manufactures some firearms that are now banned in Maryland.

Republican state Delegate Anthony J. O’Donnell lamented: “Losing [beretta] would be a big disappointment. Maryland has a reputation for having a horrible business climate, and this would be one more nail in the coffin.”

Legislators had ample warning. Back in the '90s, when Maryland beefed up gun control laws, Beretta moved one of its warehouses a short drive away to Virginia.

Beretta’s bold move is regrettable but understandable. Reh told reporters, “Why expand in a place where the people who built the gun couldn’t buy it?”

All of Beretta’s pleas fell on deaf ears. Even as Reh lamented Beretta’s looming departure and emphasized the company’s centrality in the local economy during the hearing, Maryland legislators grilled Reh on self-defense.

One legislator stated: “Other than target shooting, the only other reason [for a semi-automic firearm] would be for self-defense… [Why would you need a] rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting? … It’s only very infrequently that someone commits a crime with an assault weapon – why do you need one for self-defense?

By Dabney Bailey

Sources: Fox, Washington Times, The Blaze

:clap:

X2

I never really cared for DA/SA but I think a 92 has moved to the top of the purchase list. There is talking the talk, and there is walking the walk. Bravo.

Obviously, many CEO's don't feel their families will be safer with the new restrictions being placed on law abiding citizens.

April 3, 2013, 6:14am MDT

HiViz intends to follow Magpul's example, leave Colorado

Staff Denver Business Journal

HiViz Shooting Systems intends to leave Colorado in the wake of new state gun control legislation signed into law last month, according to the Northern Colorado Business Report.

The Fort Collins company, which makes sights, recoil pads and other accessories, started in 1996. But like Magpul Industries Inc. of Boulder County, HiViz said it's not happy with the gun control measures approved by the Colorado Legislature and signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper. Magpul Industries announced last month it will be leaving Colorado.

"I make this announcement with mixed emotions," Phillip Howe, president and CEO of HiViz, said in a statement. "Colorado is a beautiful state with great people, but we cannot in clear conscience support with our taxes a state that has proven through recent legislation a willingness to infringe upon the constitutional rights of our customer base."

The company said most of its employees will make the move, but HiViz has declined to say how many people that will be or which states the company is considering relocating to, according to the Loveland Reporter-Herald.

:v:

As a Marylander, and having known a few employees, I am sad to see this, but not surprised.

It is the Governor's, an Obama ideological clone, agenda, and he has his eye on national office.

The legislature is majority Democrat, and this is the stupid stuff you get.

Not one fewer person will die in Md because of this law, but 400 folks will either move or be looking for wok.

When will folks wake up and see the damage Democrats do to our country?

The owner of Stag Arms will probably be leaving Connecticut, and has offers from the governors of at least 12 other states to set up shop elsewhere with favorable options.

Can't blame these guys on bit with all these assaults on our Constitutional rights.

I call nonsense on the arms manufacturers. I think this is a golden opportunity for them to cut a new deal (tax incentives, ect) somewhere else or play hardball and stay where they are. Not sure about the union situation in these plants, but another excuse to dump them as well. They can take thier high skilled employees with them, they can find shipper/recievers, packaging operators, clerks and admins anywhere, and at lower wages I imagine. If the hand writting is on the wall and these enterprises are to become smaller due to restrictive laws, why not use this as an excuse to move on and reorg using someone else's dime?

They've made Jack Daniels whiskey in a dry county in TN for over 60 years. You trying to tell me they can't make firearms in a state with restrictive gun laws? How many Berrettas are sold in MD vs say TX? Business VERY seldom does anything based on principal guys.

Restrictive gun laws vs where they are made is classic apples and oranges. You can be pro gun ownership (I am) and see this is BS.

I want a freakin Bazooka! 

Since they don't make them or the rockets for them anymore, you may be unqualified to own one. What does what you want have to do with where it's made?

One legislator stated: “Other than target shooting, the only other reason [for a semi-automic firearm] would be for self-defense… [Why would you need a] rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting? … It’s only very infrequently that someone commits a crime with an assault weapon – why do you need one for self-defense?

Incredible. That's an actual quote by someone that says we MUST do something about assault weapons? That they are very infrequently used to commit a crime? But we must act with urgency, and in a knee jerk fashion to limit access to them?

They've made Jack Daniels whiskey in a dry county in TN for over 60 years. You trying to tell me they can't make firearms in a state with restrictive gun laws? ....... You can be pro gun ownership (I am) and see this is BS.

Maybe it is not as much about "cant" make firearms in that state as it is "dont want to" , and "don't have to" .....and, if you really are pro-gun, wake up and smell the coffee.

I call nonsense on the arms manufacturers. I think this is a golden opportunity for them to cut a new deal (tax incentives, ect) somewhere else or play hardball and stay where they are. Not sure about the union situation in these plants, but another excuse to dump them as well. They can take thier high skilled employees with them, they can find shipper/recievers, packaging operators, clerks and admins anywhere, and at lower wages I imagine. If the hand writting is on the wall and these enterprises are to become smaller due to restrictive laws, why not use this as an excuse to move on and reorg using someone else's dime?

They've made Jack Daniels whiskey in a dry county in TN for over 60 years. You trying to tell me they can't make firearms in a state with restrictive gun laws? How many Berrettas are sold in MD vs say TX? Business VERY seldom does anything based on principal guys.

Restrictive gun laws vs where they are made is classic apples and oranges. You can be pro gun ownership (I am) and see this is BS.

'Nonsense'? Google "Reed Exhibitions" to see what the Manufacturers are concerned with. Then, Google "Jim Zumbo". 'We the People', as in Gun Owners, are starting to understand the old saying, " United We Stand, Divided We Fall". Manufacturers are justifiably concerned with being 'Zumboed'.

Here's some more scuttlebutt.....

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/04/05/firearms-company-relocating-to-north-texas/

BRECKENRIDGE (CBS 11 NEWS) – A firearms company that makes AR-15 style rifles for the iconic brand Colt, will open a plant in Breckenridge in Stephens County. Oregon company Bold Ideas confirmed the development Friday.

Bold Ideas goes by the name Colt Competition, making high accuracy rifles for competition shooting.

The company has not officially announced the opening, but employment applications are already available at the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce. A non-specific, help wanted ad appeared in the local newspaper classifieds earlier in the week.

Sources say Colt Competition will move into a large vacant industrial space on the north side of town, previously used by Karsten Homes to manufacture mobile homes.

The move by Colt Competition into Breckenridge comes as the CEO of Colt Manufacturing in Connecticut has said there will soon be few good answers to keep his company in the state. Connecticut passed some of the nation’s most restrictive gun laws this week.

It also comes weeks after Governor Rick Perry reportedly sent letters to gun companies, encouraging them to move to Texas. Perry sent a message on Twitter to Colorado company Magpul as recently as March 21, saying “Come on Down to Texas.” The Governor’s office did not confirm Friday if it had sent a recruitment letter to Colt Competition.

Rumors swirled for weeks in Breckenridge that a major gun company was coming. Butch Spencer, who owns E-Z Pawn and Gun, said he figured when he heard the name Colt referenced that someone had just made a mistake.

“I’m tickled to see em get something like that,” he said. “I think that’d be a lot better than a mobile home factory.”

Custom gun and ammunition manufacturer Jim Mitchell said the move has the potential to draw more companies to the state, with a political climate that’s friendly to firearms.

“We’re in line to help em, and do the best we can, and they’ll be of great benefit to the community,” he said. “We’ve already got people going, hey I’m moving to Breckenridge.”