Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob Clarke

Positive or negative

11 posts in this topic

I just wanted to get some thoughts on something I've been thinking about lately. I see a lot of people posting on other peoples posts about the positives about an item and bumping an item someone is selling but it's against the rules to post anything negative. Shouldn't we also be able to post on an item pointing out the negatives about an item.

I've found that this is kinda a family/brotherhood here and I trust the folks here, but I also respect the opinions here. I've had some times where I wanted to tell people, hey stay away from that, it's a POS , or it's available for cheaper here. But I can't because of the rules. Shouldn't that street run both ways?

The street does run two ways........problem is no one is going to hit that little red flag button if its a good comment.

On the other hand if you have something negative to say people will hit it.

So if you want to change the way things are done just flag the hell out of them ! ;)

According to the rules I believe if your not buying, making an offer or asking a question about the item we should not be posting anything at all.

i.e. "free bump", "nice looking plug", etc. etc.

According to the rules I believe if your not buying, making an offer or asking a question about the item we should not be posting anything at all.

i.e. "free bump", "nice looking plug", etc. etc.

That's pretty much the way rule #3 reads: "if you aren't interested in buying it, stay out of it."

But then clarifying statement #3 kind of opens the door by stating: "If you aren't interested in buying the item or offering some positive/constructive feedback, then you shouldn't be posting in the thread - period."

I personally like FishNH's take on the written rule.

Bump for an excellent point :D

I agree btw. I don't get the bump for a nice rod/reel/plug. Should count as one of the 3.

Not if the OP didn't post it.

Usually it's done by someone else.

Not if the OP didn't post it.

Usually it's done by someone else.

I realize that. But it means extra bumps, no? What's it matter really, it's not something you see a lot.

I realize that. But it means extra bumps, no? What's it matter really, it's not something you see a lot.

You would be amazed how often it does occur, especially if you have a thread trying to hang on to the first two pages without unnecessary bumps.

I am guilty of the "unintentional free bump" with a compliment. I will be aware of it as a violation. I just comment (honestly) to make a buyer get my opinion of a "good product" (for the fishing community intent)

The thing I see a lot is people "thinking out loud" with comments like "I wish I could afford this" or "I wish I was closer" or "this is really nice". They really ARE trying to talk themselves into the item, or maybe hoping the seller will work with them to close a sale, and not just giving an unrelated bump. I think it is hard for people who are used to the rest of the site allowing random comments to remember they cannot 'blurt' something out here.