Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8fishermen

Clear Shrink wrap

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have seen clear shrink wrap on occasion and have seen it on the net so it is available in various sizes. Has anyone ever used it? I wander if it is prone to yellowing in the sun? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurffisherMike View Post

i tried some a while back, not very clear to begin with doesnt look that good. didnt fish the rod in the daytime so i dont know about yellowing. no longer have the rod.

Thanks Mike,

That is what I was thinking about trying with some of the home spun cord. I wander if there is a product that will stay clear or if the thickness is the problem?

I assume you are talking about heat shrink tubing of which there are several types. I have used polyethylene and PVC to cover some of my plugs, notably SS poppers and Yozuri pencils. PVC is harder and less subject to yellowing, it hasn't been a problem on my plugs. It is also available in different thicknesses, the stuff you order from China over eBay is thinner. If you put it over cord wrap it might work but it would probably be slick. I should add that the thinner stuff doesn't seem to shrink evenly and you need a heat gun, a hair dryer might work but would take a while. What diameter are you looking for, I have some .75" in 2:1 ratio, if that works PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of inches to try.

the stuff they sell by me is some sort of vinyl. i believe it will yellow pretty quickly. like mike said its not really clear, its more of a frosted clear.