Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MacCTD

What rod for Penn International 2.5?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I friend recently gave me a Penn International 2.5, I have done FW fly fishing but not SW. I did some searches and it looks like a 9wt 9' rod would be a good match for this reel. What would be a decent rod in the lower price range, under $200? Thanks.

You may want to look at Albright rods. they are pretty inexpensive $149r for the XXT. I bought an 11 weight and have not yet tried it out on Tarpon but I'm sure it would be ok for a start. One thing to be aware of with the 2.5 international (I have one and have fished with it for years) the reel feet are rather large and I have found that the reel does not seat well with many fishing rods. I originally had a penn gold medal 10 weight and that rod matched up well. Most of my others do not seat as well. If you decide to go to a shop to buy the rod take the reel with you to see how it fits and feels. Many folks are concerned about the weight of the reel but it has never bothered me. Good luck

Mac,

You normally select the rod on the basis of where you are going to fish not your reel.

If you are surf fishing beaches then think 9 or 10 wts if back bays an 8wt maybe although a 9wt is fine to. You can easily use a reel that is a considered by some a bit small or a bit big as long as it can hold your fly line of choice and at least 75 yards of backing you are fine to go.

I use 8wt sized reels to hold 10 wt lines and I get enough backing on still. I also you 11/12 wt reels for 10 wts and that works ok as well.

The reel does not have to balance the rod. That is very much old hat.

Mike