Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ralphrox

will clams "always" work

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

well nothing really always works. what im trying to ask is does matching the hatch apply to clams? clams are around all year which means stripers are eating them all year. even though there are other bait fish in the area will the bass still hit clams?

I say yes. Others may disagree due to "scientific reasons", but I still say yes.

I've caught using clams in May, June, July, August, September, and the first week of October.

the science says yes :) bass and others feed on clams after storms, or anytime there is something around that feeds on clams and they can get an easy meal. clams are awesome at all times. if they weren't so delicious they might be used even more :)

I'll say yes, never let me down for bass or white perch.Ill agree also after a storm you'll slam em. But I've used green crabs when there nuthing but sand eels around. To me if u can put it on there nose an there hungry that's it your on!

I would say most of the time, but not always. When the bass are into bait such as spearing, mullet or bunker they tend to ignore clams. I've had an occasion when the bass would not take a calico but as soon as I threw a plug, fish on.

bucktooth.gif

Originally Posted by Artie Fishil View Post

I would say most of the time, but not always. When the bass are into bait such as spearing, mullet or bunker they tend to ignore clams. I've had an occasion when the bass would not take a calico but as soon as I threw a plug, fish on.

agree.gif

I have had it both ways. They will cream clams and not touch a plug and vice versa. All depends on the environment each day. A couple years ago I was fishing ocean front beach with clams and having a very slow evening. Couple of guys (of course) walked all the way up to where I was fishing with nobody within sight and started to fish right next to me with sandworms. Caught on every single worm for a couple of hours. Had me in fits.

I side with Artie and Mark H , clams don't always work. Being a stout observer and having an understanding of not only the bait in the area at the time but a thorough knowledge of bass and their habit's and preferences is key.

I remember back in the late 90's in Elberon NJ, it was a few days after a storm and clams were present on the beaches, despite this, there were guys lined up throwing only artificial's and i knew the water temps were darn cold., it was Jan 2nd .. Guy's would come, park and throw their plugs for a while and quickly leave, nobody was hooking up .

I was baffled as to why so many were throwing topwater's and moving them at a pretty fast rate of speed , when in those conditions bass are much less likely to be aggressive and chase baits , they won't expend any more energy than they absolutely have to.

I was fishing a jetty that didn't seem to be a popular one because i was the only one fishing it , from the above street where people were parking i saw what looked to me a corridor of broken rocks that fish needed to travel through to reach other areas, i quickly made my way down to it and set up , i grabbed a few big surf clams that were scattered throughout the area, cracked a few open and placed one in that corridor trying to remain as unnoticed as i could.

Well it took only about 10 minutes for a nice upper teen sized bass to suck it down , i noticed line was going out but at a very slow rate , i took up slack and the fight was on , but as expected the water temps made it into a non fight and i was down in the rocks to scoop my bass in no time. My attempts in trying to hide my catch didn't work as the area i was fishing was now the most popular spot of the day as anglers abandoned their favorites to take over my new favorite:(:(

Bass are so unpredictable and can switch their preference on what they want to eat instantly, if you know bass are hot on the tails of bunker schools , imitate wounded bunker, if you have seen a few with eels in their stomach try eels etc...there are no set rules , don't be afraid to try everything.

The Funniest part was nobody knew i used clams to catch it , they continued throwing artificial's just in a different spot lol.

I was and still am a firm believer in plugs, plastic swim baits, buck tails, swimmers, Ava's, etc.  Post hurricane Sandy, my mind changed quite a bit.  My buddy and I fished from late November 2012 until this past January 2013 and used clams and we slaughtered them.  We caught more stripers on clams than I did during the sand eel blitz of 2011 and that was a phenomenal fall.  That's not to say when other baits are around that clams are the be all end all, but the clam bite this past winter has been awesome and it has definitely made me rethink all the plugs I bought.  I would say bring some clams or bunker and if the plugs aren't producing, then you have their natural food and hopefully one of them will be working.  Don't get me wrong, the fun of catching a striper on anything artificial is second to none.  I think during the spring and winter, it's clams for me.  I haven't experienced a fall using the clams and that's mainly because I have used the plugs I have mentioned above and they have always caught fish.  For me, it's all about catching them, releasing them and keeping some fish to eat.

I never once used clams as bait for bass. Take this for what it's worth!. I've been fishing for over 42 years.smile.gif

Years back guys fished for schoolies with clam bellies and clam chum,