Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vwcrakerjack

Staten Island question

37 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever fished the mouth and into the fresh kills area? Just wondering if the water in there being shallow would warm up and hold bait causing stripers to hang out by the mouth of it on an out going tide.

Has anyone ever fished the mouth and into the fresh kills area? Just wondering if the water in there being shallow would warm up and hold bait causing stripers to hang out by the mouth of it on an out going tide.

I have considered it, then remembered the water there is probably contaminated and would melt through your kayak ;)

I don't care what they call it, that place is and always will be the dump.

I'm going to scout out the area when I can. I mainly want to fish it near the mouth. As you must posses a NYC kayak permit if you go into where it becomes the park. I guess it would still provide a good distance before park begins. I'll let you know when I'm going. I have a buddy going as well.

I'm going to scout out the area when I can. I mainly want to fish it near the mouth. As you must posses a NYC kayak permit if you go into where it becomes the park. I guess it would still provide a good distance before park begins. I'll let you know when I'm going. I have a buddy going as well.

What is an NYC kayak permit? Never heard of that.

It is not technically a park yet. So technically you aren't even allowed in there. But if you ride your kayak up the river, would it not be supported under the free waterways law?

This is somewhat dated info but I don't think the fish know ---- I have a buddy who was on the dock crew landing the scows at the main dock next to the highway up to about 10 years ago. No Bass data but he did well with BlackFish along the piers edge. They also did get some Bunker in the fall.

Part of fresh kills water falls under green belt I believe. Even if not it is still considered part of the city parks from 440 inward towards Richmond. So you must posses a kayak permit from that point in. No fishing with barbed hooks either. Apparently there's small mouth bass in there further up. Who knows. I got all this info from parks dept. website

Tell me about it. I thought it was like a human right to e able to enjoy the outdoors. When did humanity become so submissive. We basically just sit around accepting the fact that our freedom and rights are being slowly stripped away from us. We have to pay for everything we do. I agree there should be rules to protect and preserve peace and the environment but its getting out of hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vwcrakerjack View Post

Part of fresh kills water falls under green belt I believe. Even if not it is still considered part of the city parks from 440 inward towards Richmond. So you must posses a kayak permit from that point in. No fishing with barbed hooks either. Apparently there's small mouth bass in there further up. Who knows. I got all this info from parks dept. website

Apparently there's SmallMouth Bass in there further up------I was always under the impression Smallies liked rocks and clear water , defiantly not the conditions present in the Fresh Kill, muck and sludge