Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lemmy423

Loading redfins

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Im sure this topic has been brought up before i always loaded mine with the 10ccs of water but ive also read in various places that some people have been loading with 11ccs so this year I loaded them with 11 ccs hope it does not affect the action I also put 6x strong vmc hooks 3/0 so id like to hear some opinions I hope with the hooks and the 11ccs don't affect the action basically Im hoping they are not too heavy

The hook hangars IMO are not worthy of 6X hooks, I just use 4X's. Also the weight of the 6X's are more likely to throw off the action more so than 1 extra cc of water.

The hook hangars IMO are not worthy of 6X hooks, I just use 4X's. Also the weight of the 6X's are more likely to throw off the action more so than 1 extra cc of water.
Absolutely correct. I had a medium sized striper tear the hanger right out of the plug on a particularly savage hit. Man, bass hate those things!

I think you're splitting hairs worrying about the difference 1cc of water is going to make. That being said, I personally would never load mine with more than 11. Some folks just use the belly hook hanger as a guide, holding nose up to the light to see that the water level comes up to just under it.

Extremely effective plug. Stick with it and find out what works best for you.

agree.

11 CC of water is not a big deal, but the added weight of 6x hooks may now be too much.

How about 7-9 CC of water plus 6x hooks ? Just play around and see how they sit in a bucket of water compared to those with 10 or 11 CC of water.

I loaded a few with BB's. When in the water the tip of the head of the lure is floating. The action is still good and it has a nice rattle and casts well. I have a couple that work well and a few I overweighted.

I loaded a few with BB's. When in the water the tip of the head of the lure is floating. The action is still good and it has a nice rattle and casts well. I have a couple that work well and a few I overweighted.
i agree LM, THE overweighted ones i use when wind is in my face, and to get down fast in moving water, i like the buckshot rattle, i do the same with NB bottle darters,SS bullets, and some SS needles

Just because the hook hanger may pull it doesn't mean there isn't a good reason to use 6x hooks. I've seen plenty if fish bend the &$:; out of 4x hooks on redfins and the hook hangers held up just fine. I would rather the hook hanger fails, something I have no control over, than the hook which I can control.

i agree LM, THE overweighted ones i use when wind is in my face, and to get down fast in moving water, i like the buckshot rattle.

I'm sure this works for you, but personally, when I'm looking to "get down fast in moving water", a red fin is not what comes to mind. I think there are better options for that purpose.

Load with mineral oil. 11cc because oil is lighter than water, so 11 yields the equivalent of 10cc of water.

The benefit: oil won't evaporate out like water does, so you don't have to reload.

Just be sure the hole is clean before sealing it up. I use a fine hypodermic needle to keep the hole small and easy to heat seal with a hot screwdriver tip.

I'm sure this works for you, but personally, when I'm looking to "get down fast in moving water", a red fin is not what comes to mind. I think there are better options for that purpose.

Yo Fish, its the fisherman that makes the Lure, not the Lure that makes the fisherman !!

i agree LM, THE overweighted ones i use when wind is in my face, and to get down fast in moving water, i like the buckshot rattle, i do the same with NB bottle darters,SS bullets, and some SS needles