Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cnnashman

Intense heat and humidity cutting down your fishing time? Don't overlook these game changers

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Guys/Gals i wanted to talk about something that i have been using the last few years that has made such a big difference in not only protecting against the suns harmful effects but will allow you to fish in comfort even during the most brutal days on the water.

If your not familiar with the Flats masks, UV Buffs, sun gloves , and arm and neck protection that's available out there, your really missing out. These items are not only extremely lightweight and affordable, but made such a difference for me that i consider them a must , a must on the same level as my sunglasses.

People think that putting a sun mask on would make you hotter and more uncomfortable but it's the complete opposite, i don't know how but as soon as you put one on your entire core temperature dips and your actually much cooler and re energized.

Some people take the mask off and dip it in the saltwater or their Igloo melted water , then ring it out and put it on , you feel like an ice cube instantly. I however never felt the need to do that because just the standard mask makes such a difference.

Kayak guys, trust me , a must have.

Florida flats guides consider it standard fare and once you try it i bet you will also. Here's a few examples

1000 Neck and ear gator

1000Simms neck and ear gator , pull up over face protection

1000 Dr.Shade sungloves

1000Simms SunGlove

Newly redesigned with additional reinforced paneling in high abrasion areas, the Simms SunGloves are now more durable than ever before, and they still provide maximum sun protection for your hands.

Sun protection sleeves

You will find a review by a major Tackle review site below on the sun sleeves.

Sun protection should be a concern to anybody spending time outdoors. Harmful rays from the sun can affect you even on overcast days, and over time the cumulative exposure you endure from being outside can have severe consequences. Skin protection is unfortunately an afterthought for a huge number of anglers, but with products like the Simms Sun Sleeves yet another alternative is now available. With legendary Simms quality and an ultra high UPF 50+ rating, these sleeves are literally “what the doctor ordered.”

Below is a typical review of the Simms flats mask, Mangrove sun mask etc...

Advantages: Ease of use, Style/Design, Performs well, Value for money, Quality

"Got this product at the recommendation of my dermotologist. Live in Florida. sun is murder. This give me added protect of spf 50 and along with spf 50 sun screen I get over 100 spf protection. Especially helpfull to protect my ears and neck. So far I love it."

My doo rag (neck/face gator or skull cap) is nothing more than a thin polyester tube marketed as something special.  The humidity effect is considerable. If your sweat doesn't evaporate you don't cool.  These things wick away the sweat and dry fast. I use my running cloths quite often because of similar materials. 'Cotton is rotten' is a runners saying. Saturates heavy, clings, and slow drying. Nylon is thin and fast drying but it's an insulator. Using the clothing you're showing also avoids using fish repelling sunscreen smells.

My doo rag (neck/face gator or skull cap) is nothing more than a thin polyester tube marketed as something special.  The humidity effect is considerable. If your sweat doesn't evaporate you don't cool.  These things wick away the sweat and dry fast. I use my running cloths quite often because of similar materials. 'Cotton is rotten' is a runners saying. Saturates heavy, clings, and slow drying. Nylon is thin and fast drying but it's an insulator. Using the clothing you're showing also avoids using fish repelling sunscreen smells.

Your right, there's no amazing technology going on here but they make a huge difference . Got to have that stretch factor though . I used to really suffer out there , once i started using this stuff i really couldn't believe how much cooler they made me.

It's like fishing the early morning coolness all day long, even in scorching temps . If they didn't do that i wouldn't wear them just for the sun protection, (although i should) the fact that your protected from UV damaging rays is just a bonus.

I tried just wearing a wide brimmed hat for years but there's no comparison, the masks make a huge difference. Contrary to popular belief they don't make your glasses fog, i have never had that problem.

All you really need is a neck gator because you can pull it up for face coverage. Some people think they will look stupid to others, and of course it's the same who cares what others think scenario, most people have seen them many times and don't pay any attention, when your lying on your death bed from skin cancer do you think you will look back and say " i'm glad i never used one , i would of hated to be looked at in a weird way by a passerby.

Good stuff. I use a simms sungaiter when I'm out aimlessly flailing my rod down at the waters edge. It really does help. Especially if you're like me and hate wearing sunscreen on your face and neck.

Good stuff. I use a simms sungaiter when I'm out aimlessly flailing my rod down at the waters edge. It really does help. Especially if you're like me and hate wearing sunscreen on your face and neck.

Columbia also offers a lot of the above. I forgot about the insect aspect of the sleeves, sometimes where i fish those little biting midges are brutal on you forearms and face , especially real early in the morning and those sun masks and sleeves really do keep them from driving you nuts.

I also despise using lotions and creams.