Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shbeachbum

What Type of Battery Do To Get

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

My son-in-law has a 19 1/2 foot boat. He has a I/O 190 horsepower. He called and asked about what type of battery to get. Beyond my area of expertise. Does he get a regular marine battery or a deep cycle battery ? The battery will be used to start the engine and run electronics. No trolling motor.

Its always better to have a boat wired with two batteries one starting one deep cycle.If the boats only set up 4 1 battery get a good marine dual porpose deep cycle and starting batt.

I've been using the  Sears Platinum Marine AGM battery for a number of years.  It is both a starting and deep cycle battery.  They only lose a small percentage of their charge during the off season, and they come with a 36 month full relpacement .  Do they cost more?  Yes, are they worth it?  Definitely.  They  start mr 6.5L diesel and have never faltered. 

Def AGM for a reliable start . Electronics are not that much of a drain on power . If you are planning on going off shore for several miles a 2 battery set up would be nice. I fished with a guy in a 25ft inboard and we traveled 40 miles off shore in the gulf  with a 2 battery AGM set up ---just a little more reliable starting power if you wind up with a dead cell in one battery.  

I second the battery tender. Works great over winter storage. Since I started using one my battery has lasted several seasons longer than when I didnt have one. I have had good luck with walmarts marine max deep cycle battery. On my third one in 10 plus seasons.

No need to go AGM. You certainly CAN go AGM, but a good deep cycle will work just fine too.

Also, no need to go marine. Actually COMMERCIAL deep cycles will work much better in a marine environment. They are a lot cheaper, because anything labeled marine costs a lot more than it's non-labeled equivalent. With a 19 ft boat, you certainly do not need a starting battery, unless it is a blown big block on some racing vessel. The heavier the battery the better. The lead is made in plates. Thinner, more porous plates, disintegrate with the vibration of a boat. The thicker, and less porous, the longer they will last. A good group 27 or 31 deep cycle should weigh from 80-100 lbs. I have my deep cycles last for 5-6 years easy, with nothing but a motor charging them. One big thing he has to look for is a properly wired boat. Wiring that draws amperage with nothing on, even a little bit, will drain a battery quickly, no matter what type or brand you go with. A good deep cycle commercial ambulance or tractor battery should cost you right around $100, and last a long time. Deep cycle's will have PLENTY of juice to turn over a small inboard.

I've been using the Sears Marine AGM as well for the last two I've purchased... three year no questions asked full replacement warranty.. at least mine was when I bought it. This battery has an outstanding rep in all boating/fishing circles.I also use one for a trolling motor and AGM's stand up better to the repeated drain/recharge cycles and dudes like me who aren't religious about their battery maintenance

If you want to spend closer to 100 beans, my 21' Sea Hunt came with an Interstate dual purpose standard wet cell marine battery and I must confess I don't take the best care of my batteries and this thing is still holding a great charge after 4 years. I wouldn't hesistate to get another one. It ran as a single battery setup for the first couple years until I added a second on a switch for safety reasons as I was going offshore more.

That's my two recommendations for two different price ranges.