Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeoffT

Athletes ready to come out

Rate this topic

118 posts in this topic

Looks like the day's coming soon. I say it's about time.

Brendon Ayanbadejo, a highly visible defender of gay rights and same-sex marriage, told the Baltimore Sun that four current NFL players are considering coming out as gay.

"I think it will happen sooner than you think," Ayanbadejo told the newspaper. "We're in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now, and they're trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out.

"Of course, there would be backlash. If they could share the backlash, it would be more positive. It's cool. It's exciting. We're in talks with a few guys who are considering it. The NFL and organizations are already being proactive and open if a player does it and if something negative happens. We'll see what happens."

Ayanbadejo's comments come after he refuted a report by Newsday on Thursday in which he said he thought one of the reasons he was cut by the Baltimore Ravens was his outspoken advocacy of gay rights and same-sex marriage.

Ayanbadejo, who tweeted that he was misquoted in the Newsday story, also emphasized to the Sun that he thinks the Ravens made a football move in letting him go.

The Ravens issued a statement Thursday night denying that Ayanbadejo's advocacy of gay rights and same-sex marriage had anything to do with his release.

"We're surprised that he would indicate this. We have always been respectful of Brendon's opinions and his right to express those," Ravens senior vice president for public and community relations Kevin Byrne said. "Our decision regarding his departure from the team has everything to do with football. Nothing else."

A 10-year veteran, the 36-year-old Ayanbadejo played primarily on special teams with the Super Bowl champion Ravens. He had a career-high 30 tackles from scrimmage last season, a sack and 14 stops on special teams.

Ayanbadejo made the Pro Bowl in his first season with the Ravens after also making it twice while with the Chicago Bears.

Lotta bad ju ju in the NFL right now.  This, big concerns about safety etc.  I cant quite figure it out, but I am pretty sure I/we were lucky to see the game at its zenith.

If I am a coach, owner, player or fan of a team, and there is a guy on the team that can make a sack/game, or has a 55-60%+ completion rating, or averages 100 yards a game, or can fairly consistently kick field goals from 50+ yards out, I don't care if he wears lipstick and sports pigtails. He can play in a ******* purple cocktail dress and **** me pumps for all I care. I'm from the Al Davis school - "Just Win Baby"

Looks like the day's coming soon. I say it's about time.

Brendon Ayanbadejo, a highly visible defender of gay rights and same-sex marriage, told the Baltimore Sun that four current NFL players are considering coming out as gay.

"I think it will happen sooner than you think," Ayanbadejo told the newspaper. "We're in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now, and they're trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out.

this just goes to show you it's a publicity stunt.

it's not about gay rights.

it's all about look at us.

And a question..... if there are 4 players talking about "coming out," doesn't that mean they already did that?

Lotta bad ju ju in the NFL right now.  This, big concerns about safety etc.  I cant quite figure it out, but I am pretty sure I/we were lucky to see the game at its zenith.

I agree, the sport is about to fall under it's own weight.

If I am a coach, owner, player or fan of a team, and there is a guy on the team that can make a sack/game, or has a 55-60%+ completion rating, or averages 100 yards a game, or can fairly consistently kick field goals from 50+ yards out, I don't care if he wears lipstick and sports pigtails. He can play in a ******* purple cocktail dress and **** me pumps for all I care. I'm from the Al Davis school - "Just Win Baby"

If the same guy is a drama queen, and divides the locker room, It makes winning tough.

When a person puts himself 'out there', they better have some thick skin.

Some folks will disagree, no matter what the issue is,.

So, to me, drawing attention to yourself as an outlier may not be smart when millions of dollars are at stake.

No disrespect meant, but who really cares? I'm surrounded everywhere by people who don't care about it. Why is this newsworthy? Why does the source of this report feel the need to let everyone in on something nobody cares about? Is he trying to amplify a perceived attitude against gay football players to push an agenda?

If the same guy is a drama queen, and divides the locker room, It makes winning tough.

When a person puts himself 'out there', they better have some thick skin.

Some folks will disagree, no matter what the issue is,.

So, to me, drawing attention to yourself as an outlier may not be smart when millions of dollars are at stake.

No doubt...... I remember Kenny Goldberg, on my HS football team, who was dumb enough to comment out loud about the size of another guy's pecker in the community shower. He quit the team the next day. I don't think he was actually gay, but there was no way some of the guys were gonna let him show up in the locker room the next day, especially since he was not even a decent bench warmer. His life was a living hell for a good period of time after that incident.

You mean his beard?

Hell the Titans had that queer running back, Eddie George.

Its a political activism ploy.  Not a lot of homos that are football fans, most fans are regular guys in every sense.  Thats the target.  Take what you understand, take someones comfort zone, and wreck it.  Flip it on its head.

The idiots here are the NFL.  its their product, its their message, and they are doing a damn crappy job of protecting it. How about "since we deal with kids, our policy is that sex in ANY form will not be a subject our employees discuss."  That should be the deal.  Might be a good chance to review the idea of letting animals like Micheal Vick play as well.

There are gay auto racers.  Do you think for a minute that NASCAR is stupid enough to have them running around in high heels?

Really could anyone imagine some pro football player coming out and saying, "I like water sports in bed with my girlfriend(s)." NOBODY CARES about whether some clown is gay or not or what they do in their bedrooms....until they announce "Hey, I'm gay!!!" That is when it becomes relevant.

BTW, a gay coming out in the NFL opens himself up to all kinds of problems because if liberals think conservatives are "intolerant" of gays, they've never talked to anybody from the hood. Those folks are "KKK intolerant" about gays and a lot of the really tough, mean guys in the NFL will crucify a gay on another team who has come out. May as well cover himself in pink ribbons when he steps on the field.