Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shark lobster

looking for info on a reel 5500c3 abu

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

looking for any info on this stlye of reel is it a good long cast reel? can i use for light saltwater action? and it seems like it has a very fast retreive rate? not sure of the gear ratio? thanks,, also what would be a good rod size for this reel in the salt?

its the same model as the 6500 but doesnt have a bait clicker. i routinely handle 12-20 lb fish(some bigger, some smaller) in fresh water with mine.casts pretty far with some weight on it.  drag is super nice. i have some gander mountain guide series im8 graphite rods that are 7'/8', but i love my 7'  ugly stik catfish for casting .i dont know salt , just fresh water , but i know these reels are tough. there are millions of aftermarket parts on ebay for these. you can customize everything on em.

It is renowned as a good caster....the 6500 is it's sligtly bigger brother...the differences between 5500 and 5600 models is the 5600 has a thumb button right smack in the middle in front of the line...pretty stupid place if u ask me ...so I went for a 6500 recently.  The thumbbutton is your line release which in your model will be on the side of frame.

I havent gotten mine yet..but I looked these over pretty good before buying... the spool carries the bearings on the inside of it...and the axle is free floating...this makes the spool lighter...allowing for better casting....now these have level wind tho....unless u pickup a CT model....but if u look at it from the perspective of hey it serves as a brake sort of it really isnt a drawback. especially ur used to thumb braking anyway.  

Imo if you really want to u can pull out the levelwind arms and get thumb happy....ur also welcome to place some abec 5/7 bearings in there.

They have other models...with lots of other fancier features but the heart of most models is the C3 version which is their most basic.

Technically a basic C3 with good bearings and no levelwind should be able to keep up with any of thier fancier models. As the foundation of these little reels again is the light spool and inside mounted bearings.  That being said some ppl hate them.

That being said I love my sl20sh...and it has a fixed axle. and side bearings....i will see what all the abu hype is about as it will be contesting my abec5 ceramic'd bearings daiwa.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anglin925 View Post

It is renowned as a good caster....the 6500 is it's sligtly bigger brother...the differences between 5500 and 5600 models is the 5600 has a thumb button right smack in the middle in front of the line...pretty stupid place if u ask me ...so I went for a 6500 recently.  The thumbbutton is your line release which in your model will be on the side of frame.

I havent gotten mine yet..but I looked these over pretty good before buying... the spool carries the bearings on the inside of it...and the axle is free floating...this makes the spool lighter...allowing for better casting....now these have level wind tho....unless u pickup a CT model....but if u look at it from the perspective of hey it serves as a brake sort of it really isnt a drawback. especially ur used to thumb braking anyway.  

Imo if you really want to u can pull out the levelwind arms and get thumb happy....ur also welcome to place some abec 5/7 bearings in there.

They have other models...with lots of other fancier features but the heart of most models is the C3 version which is their most basic.

Technically a basic C3 with good bearings and no levelwind should be able to keep up with any of thier fancier models. As the foundation of these little reels again is the light spool and inside mounted bearings.  That being said some ppl hate them.

That being said I love my sl20sh...and it has a fixed axle. and side bearings....i will see what all the abu hype is about as it will be contesting my abec5 ceramic'd bearings daiwa.  

The only difference between a 5500c3 and the 6500c3 is the line capacity (width) and the line out clicker. There is no thumbar on the 5500c3, that would be other models that are numbered 5600xxx

EDIT: Sorry, I misread....as a disclosure though, I happen to like thumbars....