Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChasingTales

foam linner

18 posts in this topic

I tried the pool noodle route in the hobie but it got loose and jammed the rudder controls. I need to do a better job of securing the flotation. There are stories of yakkers taking on water, especially in a SOT type kayak and losing it to the ocean floor. So it does happen. One fellow was out off La Jolla and his Hobie took on water from a bait tank that somehow poured water into the hull. It sank when he was miles out. :shock: That's an expensive day and loads of anxiety with whitey around.

I tip my outback when I 1st got it. Guess the yak was over about 10 mins. When I got it over and back in there wasn't a single drop of water inside. Guess its like holding a glass upside down in water . But having said that there's no way those hatches are going to hold back any water if there's pressure on it.

I considered getting a floatation tube for my kayak, they make them for SIT Kayaks and also canoes, could be placed in kayak then inflated, providing floatation and also taking up space perhaps under the rear tank well that would also limit how much water can be in the yak. My new kayak has really nice tight hatches, but any kayak can have a hatch mishap, or scupper hole leak that can put you on the bottom. Seems prudent, and they go on some auction websites cheap........Jack

Yeah, search for Kayak float bag, or kayak float tubes, stick them in blow some air in your done. Saw posting on a New Zealand kayak sight that a lot of guys put them on their yaks, none I just searched said how much floatation they provide though. Oh yeah, thanks for posting I just bid on a bag!....Jack

On Hobie's forum there is a guy who installed a Bilge pump permanently in his Outback , he made a video of it . As soon as he fills it with water he turns on the pump and water comes shooting out lol. He also added some info about battery usage and how much power it drains . I think it's on the regular open kayaking forum.

I have a pool float the kind you lay on I keep folded up .. got hit by a big wave one time pretty fay out that filled the pungo. blew it up and hopped on it while I was bailing water out of the kayak.. all I had at the time was a sponge to bail with

I've used large bubble wrap (packaging material) stuffed into dry bags, properly sealed and placed like float bags. This gives added flotation and some dry storage capacity.